Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Groom, Best Man Abducted By Terrorists Shortly After Wedding In Borno
News

Groom, Best Man Abducted By Terrorists Shortly After Wedding In Borno

meridianspyBy meridianspyDecember 12, 2020Updated:December 12, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

Two aid workers have been kidnapped by terrorists in Borno State.

Humanitarian and security sources confirmed to Sahara Reporters on Saturday that the two workers were abducted while returning from a wedding.

The two were identified as an employee of UN World Food Programme, who had just attended his wedding, and a colleague from the International Committee of the Red Cross who had been the best man at the ceremony.

Islamic State West Africa Province seized them on Wednesday near Jakana village, the sources said.

“ISWAP terrorists took the two aid workers hostage at a checkpoint they mounted near Jakana,” a UN source told AFP.

The hostages were returning to the regional capital Maiduguri from the wedding in neighbouring Adamawa State when they were stopped at a bogus checkpoint around 1230 GMT, the source said.

The WFP worker “had his wedding on November 28 and the Red Cross colleague was his best man,” said the UN source.

A military source in Jakana confirmed the kidnap of “two humanitarian staff by ISWAP terrorists.”

On Wednesday, the UN issued a memo informing its staff about the abduction of a “UN national staff embarking on a private trip… by NSAG (non-state armed group)”.

The memo did not state which UN agency the kidnapped staffer worked for.

The incident happened along the 120-kilometre Maiduguri/Damaturu highway which passes through Jakana, said the memo seen by AFP.

In a statement on Friday, ISWAP said it seized “two Christians working for the Red Cross organisation”.

READ ALSO  NYSC Denies MoU with NANS Over N200 Student Levy

The group said the incident occurred at a checkpoint between the village of Mainok and Maiduguri.

Jakana, 25 kilometres from Maiduguri, lies on a known crossing route for ISWAP fighters moving between their camps in the Benisheikh forest area of Borno and their hideouts in the Buni Yadi area of Yobe state.

Since it split from mainstream Boko Haram group in 2016, ISWAP has intensified attacks on military targets, but it has increasingly been targeting civilians.

Thousands of people have been killed and around two million displaced in the Islamist conflict, which started 11 years ago in Nigeria’s northeast.

The violence has spread to neighbouring Niger, Cameroon and Chad, leading to the formation of a regional military force to fight the insurgents.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. Nigerian Troops Neutralise 12 Boko Haram Terrorists In Borno, Rescue 241 Kidnapped Victims
  2. DHQ: Boko Haram Fighters Eliminated, Meeting Venue Destroyed By Air Strikes In Borno
  3. 30 Soldiers Killed In Fresh Attack By Boko Haram On Borno Communities
  4. One Injured In Another Boko Haram Attack On Gov Zulum’s Convoy
Aid workers Borno Meridian Spy Nigeria News terrorists
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

NDLEA Destroys N301bn Worth of Drugs, Arrests 10 in Edo

August 18, 2026

Pension Arrears: Ex-Soldiers Set to Protest at Defence Ministry

August 18, 2026

Insecurity: 31 States Spend N252bn on Security in Six Months

August 18, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • NDLEA Destroys N301bn Worth of Drugs, Arrests 10 in Edo
  • Pension Arrears: Ex-Soldiers Set to Protest at Defence Ministry
  • WAEC Under Fire Over 2026 Results, Alleged Grading Anomalies
  • Insecurity: 31 States Spend N252bn on Security in Six Months
  • Opposition boycotted Bauchi LG poll over fear of losing — Gov Mohammed
  • Meta, FG Launch AI Academy Nigeria To Boost Local AI Talent
  • FG Grants 70:30 Profit Split to Offers $50bn in Deep Offshore Investments
  • Refiners Target $329m Savings from Crude Swap
  • Continue to Deliver Good Governance in Osun, Obasanjo Tells Adeleke
  • VIDEO: ‘Prayers, Not Money, Won Us Osun Poll,’ Says Dr Deji Adeleke
  • Ferrari’s First Electric Car Sells for Record $40m
  • BREAKING: Edo Assembly Gets New Speaker
  • FG, IFAD-VCDP Distributes Equipment, Empowerment Tools to Kogi Farmers, PWDs
  • Nigeria Can Become Africa’s Construction, Infrastructure Powerhouse
  • OIKUs: Short-Let Properties Lead Rental Earnings Across Lagos
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.