Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»2027: Speaker Abbas, Kalu, Others Launch Return Bids As Parties Hold Primaries
News

2027: Speaker Abbas, Kalu, Others Launch Return Bids As Parties Hold Primaries

meridianspyBy meridianspyMay 15, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

 

 

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Abbas Tajuddeen, his deputy, Benjamin Okezie Kalu and other members have launched their bid to return to the House amidst fierce challenges from other candidates seeking to take over.

 

The Speaker, had earlier last week launched his bid for fifth term to represent Zaria federal constituency of Kaduna State while Kalu who represents Bende Federal Constituency of Abia State is seeking to return for the third consecutive time.

 

Hon. Abbas who was first elected to the House in 2011 became the Speaker of the House in 2023.

 

 

Addressing his Constituents during the declaration in Zaria, he said, “Today, I formally declare my intention to seek another mandate to represent the good people of Zaria Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives. This declaration is not based on promises alone. It is based on work. It is based on results. It is based on a record that our people can see and verify.

 

 

“When you first entrusted me with this responsibility, I made a commitment that representation would not be distant from the people. I said leadership must produce visible outcomes. I said public office must improve lives. And together, we have worked to fulfill that promise”.

 

In a surprise move however, his deputy, Hon. Benjamin Kalu dropped his governorship ambition and opted to return to the House and continue to represent his Constituents.

READ ALSO  How to Apply for FG Loan to Build, Buy a House

 

According to his Special Assistant on Press Affairs, Udora Orizu in a statement on Friday, Kalu decided to contest after a vote of confidence passed by his Bende Constituents endorsing his bid for re-election in the 2027 general election.

 

 

The statement informed that, the declaration was held in Bende on Thursday with representatives from all 13 wards of the constituency, political stakeholders, community leaders, youths and grassroots supporters who commended the Deputy Speaker for what they described as effective representation, inclusive leadership and quality service delivery since assuming office in 2019.

 

 

The statement quoted Kalu during the declaration thanking his constituents for the confidence reposed in him and their continued support over the years.

 

He reeled out his legislative achievements which include the sponsorship of key bills, some of which have already been signed into law, as well as constituency projects spread across the wards in the constituency.

 

 

Kalu said, “I’m returning to the National Assembly so I can finish the good work I started. I am going back to support the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, a man who genuinely loves Nigeria. The President is coming with more reforms in his second tenure, and those of us who understand his philosophy and his desire to build a lasting legacy will continue to stand by him through thick and thin. If you allow me to return to the House, you will see even more development in Bende. I will do more for our people.”

READ ALSO  Cross River Gov Orders Aides to Withdraw Case Against Critic

 

Many other members of the 10th assembly have also joined the race to make a come back while a few of the 9th Assembly members are also in the race to slug it out with other candidates to return.

 

Some of the prominent members who have been in the House and are currently set to retain their seats included the former deputy speaker, Hon. Ahmed Idris Wase representing Wase federal constituency of Plateau State, Hon. Alhassan Ado Doguwar representing Tudun Wada/Doguwa federal constituency of Kano State and many others.

 

 

On the other hand, others have decided to quit after their term at the 10th assembly elapse in 2027.

 

One of these lawmakers is Hon. Mansur Manu Soro representing Ganjuwa/Darazo federal constituency of Bauchi State.

 

The lawmaker who spoke to Politics Digest on telephone said that, he decided to quit and let another person take the mantle adding that he has done his best to served his people.

It could be recalled that, he had in a statement dated May 11, 2026, signed by his Legislative Aide, Safiyanu Ibrahim Darazo stated that, he will neither contest for the Bauchi Central Senatorial district seat or seek re-election for the Darazo/Ganjuwa Federal Constituency.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants

August 20, 2026

2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation

August 20, 2026

Cross River Gov Orders Aides to Withdraw Case Against Critic

August 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
  • Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president
  • 2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation
  • UK Pledges £442m to Get Rough Sleepers Off Streets by Christmas
  • Cross River Gov Orders Aides to Withdraw Case Against Critic
  • Ogun Ex-Lawmaker Urges FG to Institutionalise Food Bank Programme
  • UK Ex-Commonwealth Champion Baptiste Found Jailed in Morocco
  • Omo-Agege Raises Alarm Over Alleged Threats to Life, Holds Delta Governor Responsible
  • 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐎𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐓𝐨 𝐆𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐚
  • 𝐎𝐬𝐮𝐧 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐥: 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐀𝐭 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐭 ₦𝟒𝟎𝐁𝐧, 𝐅𝐚𝐲𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐃𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐨
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.