Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Our Report Was Carefully Researched, We Stand By It – CNN Replies FG On Lekki Shooting
News

Our Report Was Carefully Researched, We Stand By It – CNN Replies FG On Lekki Shooting

Kennedy IgweBy Kennedy IgweNovember 20, 2020Updated:November 20, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

The Cable News Network (CNN), has responded to Federal Government’s labelling of its report on its investigation of the shooting of peaceful ENDSARS protesters allegedly by security operatives as ‘irresponsible journalism’.

The American media outlet had, in its report on the shooting of ENDSARS protesters, confirmed that live bullets were fired at the demonstrators at Lekki Toll Gate Plaza in Lagos on October 20, 2020.

Contrary to the claims by the government that nobody was killed, it also unveiled the identity of a protester named Victor Sunday Ibanga, who reportedly died on the night of the shootings.

But Lai Mohammed, Minister of information, in a press conference on Thursday, insisted that not a single body had been produced or a single family come out to claim their loved ones were killed at the Lekki Toll Gate Plaza.

Mohammed further called for a sanction for the foreign media organisation but did not make clear where the sanction should come from.

Responding in a statement on Thursday, CNN said the report was carefully and meticulously researched.

The news outlet said the report is based on multiple witness account, adding that the army and police declined calls to respond to the investigation before the story was published.

“Our reporting was carefully and meticulously researched, and we stand by it,” the statement read.

“The report was based on testimony from dozens of witnesses, and photos and video obtained and geolocated by CNN. It painted a picture of how members of the Nigerian army and the police shot at the crowd, killing at least one person and wounding dozens more.

READ ALSO  Nigeria-US Joint Strikes Kill 175 ISIS Militants in North-East – DHQ

“CNN verified photos and videos acquired from multiple eyewitnesses and protesters using timestamps and other data from the video files.

“Video footage shows soldiers who appear to be shooting in the direction of protesters. And accounts from eyewitnesses established that after the army withdrew, a second round of shooting happened later in the evening.

“Prior to publishing the report, CNN tried multiple times to elicit comment from the Nigerian army and police. A Lagos State police spokesman declined to comment because of an ongoing investigation.

“While a statement from the Lagos State government said that there would be no comment while a judicial tribunal was underway.”

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. It’s Irresponsible Journalism – FG Threatens To Sanction CNN Over Report On Lekki Shooting
  2. FEC: Customs Gets Approval Of N623m For Purchase Of Computers
  3. SERAP To Buhari: Instruct Lai Mohammed To Withdraw NBC ‘Insult Code’ Within 7 Days, Stop N5m Fine Slammed On Radio Station
  4. Why Buhari Govt Should Be Blamed For Electricity Tariff Hike – Reno Omokri Tackles Lai Mohammed
CNN If Lai Mohammed lekki shooting Meridian Spy Nigeria News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kennedy Igwe

Related Posts

Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant

May 20, 2026

APC’s Abracadabra Primaries By Farooq Kperogi

May 20, 2026

Arsenal Win First English Premier League Title In 22 Years

May 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • CBN Retains Interest Rate at 26.5%
  • Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant
  • APC’s Abracadabra Primaries By Farooq Kperogi
  • Arsenal Win First English Premier League Title In 22 Years
  • El-Rufai Detention Drama Deepens as Family Accuses DSS of Defying Court Orders
  • Nigeria-US Joint Strikes Kill 175 ISIS Militants in North-East – DHQ
  • DHQ: No Terrorist Base in South-West Despite Oyo School Attack
  • Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
  • Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election
  • Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly
  • “We Are Activating a Citizen-Centred Tax Service System” – Tax Ombud
  • 63% of Nigerians Want Lower Interest Rates – CBN Survey
  • APC Panel Disqualifies Fubara’s Loyalists, Clears Wike’s Allies
  • 2027: APC Disqualifies Murray-Bruce, Adegboyega 45 Others Aspirants for Senate
  • Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged Illegal Interception of Ribadu’s Communications
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.