Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»It’s Irresponsible Journalism – FG Threatens To Sanction CNN Over Report On Lekki Shooting
News

It’s Irresponsible Journalism – FG Threatens To Sanction CNN Over Report On Lekki Shooting

Kennedy IgweBy Kennedy IgweNovember 19, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

The Federal Government has reacted to a report by CNN, a foreign media outlet, on the shooting of peaceful ENDSARS protesters in Lagos allegedly by security operatives.

Recalled the Nigerian Army, after admitting that its personnel were at the scene where the shooting took place, had maintained that it did not open fire at the protesters.

But an investigation carried out by CNN revealed on Wednesday that the Nigerian army used live bullets on protesters during its intervention in the #EndSARS protests in Lekki Toll Gate Plaza in Lagos.

The American cable network also unveiled the identity of a protester named Victor Sunday Ibanga, who reportedly died on the night of the shootings.

CNN said a forensic probe of the bullet casings recovered from the scene of the incident revealed that live bullets were fired at the protesters.

Reacting in a press briefing on Thursday, Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information and Culture, described the report by CNN as “irresponsible journalism”.

Mohammed insisted that not a single body had been produced or a single family come out to claim their loved ones were killed at the Lekki Toll Gate Plaza.

He called for a sanction for the foreign media organisation but did not make clear where the sanction should come from.

The Information Minister also said the government stands by last Saturday’s testimony of the Commander of 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig. Gen. Taiwo, who told the Judicial Panel of Inquiry instituted by the Lagos State Government that blank bullets were fired at the toll gate.

READ ALSO  Soldiers kill 12 terrorists along Nigeria–Cameroon border in Borno

He added that some “unscrupulous persons” including celebrities circulated fake news on the social media that aggravated the violence that trailed the two-week demonstration of Inquiry instituted by the Lagos State Government that blank bullets were fired at the toll gate.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. BREAKING: FG Grants Radio, TV Stations N7.8bn Debt Forgiveness
  2. JUST IN: FG Increases Hate Speech Fine From N500,000 To N5m
  3. Rail Line Extension Approval To Niger Republic For Strengthening Nigeria’s Economy – Lai Mohammed
  4. Lekki Shooting: Nigerian Army Denies Knowledge Of Curfew Time Extension
CNN endsars protesters fg Lai Mohammed lekki toll gate shooting Meridian Spy Nigeria News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kennedy Igwe

Related Posts

NDLEA arrests Chinese woman with drug shipment at Lagos airport

May 24, 2026

Publish Names of Local Contractors for $460m Abuja CCTV Project, SERAP Tells FG* 

May 24, 2026

10 Notorious Terror/Bandit Warlords Eliminated by Nigerian Military By Kabir Abdulsalam,

May 23, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • NDLEA arrests Chinese woman with drug shipment at Lagos airport
  • Publish Names of Local Contractors for $460m Abuja CCTV Project, SERAP Tells FG* 
  • ICPC Explains Why El-Rufai Can’t Meet with ADC Leaders
  • 10 Notorious Terror/Bandit Warlords Eliminated by Nigerian Military By Kabir Abdulsalam,
  • Soldiers kill 12 terrorists along Nigeria–Cameroon border in Borno
  • Soldiers kill 12 terrorists along Nigeria–Cameroon border in Borno
  • Kwara PDP Adopts Kawu as Consensus Governorship Candidate for 2027
  • We Built 414 Roads, Cut Debt by 60% in Three Years — Otti
  • Navy @70: CNS Pledges Support for National Development, Security
  • How I Made Buhari President in 2015 – Amaechi
  • Wadada wins APC governorship primary with 195,285 votes
  • Al-Minuki’s Death: Between Media Skepticism and Military Certainty By Kabir Abdulsalam
  • Tinubu names 39-year-old Prof JAMB registrar as Oloyede bows out
  • 2027: ADC Screens Atiku for Presidential Ticket
  • FG Reiterates Commitment to Results-Driven Governance in Public Service
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.