Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Ezekwesili Slams Senate Over Prolonged Suspension of Senator Natasha
News

Ezekwesili Slams Senate Over Prolonged Suspension of Senator Natasha

meridianspyBy meridianspySeptember 10, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

Ezekwesili Slams Senate Over Prolonged Suspension of Senator Natasha

Former Minister of Education and social accountability advocate, Oby Ezekwesili, has condemned the Nigerian Senate for what she described as an “unconstitutional overreach” in the continued suspension of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

In a strongly worded memo addressed to the Senate, the Judiciary, and Nigerian citizens on Wednesday, Ezekwesili said the prolonged suspension of the lawmaker representing Kogi Central amounts to an assault on democracy and the rule of law.

Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan was suspended on March 6, 2025, after she accused Senate President Godswill Akpabio of sexual harassment. Six months later, her suspension remains in force following a September 4 letter from the Acting Clerk of the Senate, informing her that the suspension would continue indefinitely until ongoing court processes are concluded.

Ezekwesili described the Senate’s stance as “farcical” and “preposterous,” arguing that pending litigation cannot justify prolonging an already unconstitutional suspension.

“The Senate’s action represents nothing short of an existential threat to our constitutional democracy. Democracy dies when laws become weapons and lawmakers become serial lawbreakers,” she declared.

Citing a Federal High Court ruling delivered by Justice Binta Nyako, Ezekwesili noted that the court had already declared the suspension “excessive” and a violation of constitutional principles, as it denies the people of Kogi Central their right to representation for nearly an entire legislative session.

She stressed that the Senate’s action contradicts its own rules, which allow a maximum suspension of 14 days under Order 67(4). Legal precedents, she recalled, had also established that lengthy suspensions of elected lawmakers were “illegal, unlawful, and unconstitutional.”

READ ALSO  Tinubu Appoints Mustapha Abdullahi Secretary, Sports Sector Mobilisation for APC Campaign Council

Beyond suspension, Akpoti-Uduaghan had faced additional sanctions including withdrawal of her salaries, denial of access to her office, and being locked out of the National Assembly premises.

Ezekwesili accused the Senate of disregarding the principle of separation of powers by ignoring judicial restraints, warning that such defiance undermines Nigeria’s democratic order. She urged the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the National Judicial Council (NJC) to act swiftly in addressing judicial inconsistencies and ensuring a speedy resolution of the matter.

“The fastest conclusion of the Akpoti-Uduaghan case is imperative for the courts to prove to Nigerians that they are not complicit in undermining the rule of law,” she said.

The memo underscores growing concerns among rights activists and legal experts over what they describe as increasing impunity within Nigeria’s political class.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. Oby Ezekwesili Queries President Buhari’s Style Of Live Address
  2. Take Responsibility For Lekki Massacre, Ezekwesili Tells President Buhari
  3. Oby Ezekwesili Calls For Independent Panel To Assess Buhari’s Mental, Physical Health
Binta Nyako Oby Ezekwesili Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

Obi to FG: Nigeria must not Turn to  killing field

August 23, 2026

Tinubu Appoints Mustapha Abdullahi Secretary, Sports Sector Mobilisation for APC Campaign Council

August 22, 2026

Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy

August 22, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Obi to FG: Nigeria must not Turn to  killing field
  • Tinubu Appoints Mustapha Abdullahi Secretary, Sports Sector Mobilisation for APC Campaign Council
  • Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy
  • Kwara Politics: Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns From APC
  • Oil Output Rises As Pipeline Losses Decline
  • EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
  • Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska
  • Tinubu Orders Fresh Mapping of Nigeria’s Illicit Arms Network After 10 Years
  • CBN To Boost Digital Payment Adoption for economic Devt
  • Dangote Hikes Petrol Price as Crude Oil Hits $93
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.