Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»UK deepens anti-corruption cooperation with Nigeria, returns 9.5m dollars
News

UK deepens anti-corruption cooperation with Nigeria, returns 9.5m dollars

meridianspyBy meridianspyJanuary 9, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

The United Kingdom has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to facilitate the return of more than 9.5 million dollars in looted funds to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

A statement by the British High Commission on Friday in Abuja said the UK’s Attorney General for Jersey, Mark Temple, signed the agreement with the Nigerian government in December 2025.

It explained that the MoU was built on two previous agreements between Jersey and Nigeria, under which more than 300 million dollars in recovered assets had already been repatriated to Nigeria.

It will be recalled that the UK government, working with its Crown Dependencies, has, over the years, committed to assisting Nigeria in tracing, confiscating, and returning proceeds of corruption stashed abroad.

It noted that under earlier agreements, the UK facilitated the return of recovered funds linked to former Nigerian officials, with the monies transparently deployed to critical infrastructure projects under international monitoring arrangements.

According to the statement, the repatriated funds were applied to projects such as the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and the Second Niger Bridge, in line with agreed frameworks to ensure accountability and proper utilisation.

Under the terms of the latest MoU, the recovered funds are to support the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, the Second Niger Bridge, and the Abuja-Kano Road projects.

It added that with the first two projects already completed, the forfeited funds would be channelled toward the completion of the 375-kilometre Abuja-Kano Highway linking Nigeria’s capital with its second-largest city.

READ ALSO  Ogun Ex-Lawmaker Urges FG to Institutionalise Food Bank Programme

The statement explained that on Nov. 29, 2023, the Attorney General applied to the Royal Court of Jersey under the Forfeiture of Assets (Civil Proceedings) (Jersey) Law 2018 in respect of tainted property held in a Jersey bank account.

It said that on Jan. 12, 2024, the court granted a forfeiture order after determining that the funds were suspicious proceeds of corruption in which third-party contractors diverted government monies for senior Nigerian officials.

“This successful return demonstrates the strength of our civil forfeiture legislation as a powerful tool in the fight against corruption.

“I thank the Nigerian authorities for their cooperation and the Economic Crime and Confiscation Unit in my Department for their unwavering commitment to recovering the proceeds of crime,” Temple was quoted as saying.

The statement also quoted Nigeria’s Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, as saying that the recovery underscored the effectiveness of Nigeria’s collaboration with international partners.

“The successful recovery and repatriation of the forfeited assets underscore the effectiveness of Nigeria’s collaborative efforts with its international partners in ensuring that there is no safe haven for illicitly acquired wealth moved to foreign jurisdictions.

“On behalf of the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I thank the Bailiwick of Jersey for the cooperation extended to Nigeria during the recovery exercise.

“I further assure the Bailiwick of Jersey that the repatriated assets will be judiciously utilised in line with the terms of the executed Memorandum of Understanding,” Fagbemi said.

READ ALSO  Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy

August 22, 2026

EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund

August 21, 2026

Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska

August 21, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy
  • Kwara Politics: Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns From APC
  • Oil Output Rises As Pipeline Losses Decline
  • EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
  • Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska
  • Tinubu Orders Fresh Mapping of Nigeria’s Illicit Arms Network After 10 Years
  • CBN To Boost Digital Payment Adoption for economic Devt
  • Dangote Hikes Petrol Price as Crude Oil Hits $93
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
  • Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.