Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Senate requests Tinubu to exempt lawmakers from police withdrawal directive
News

Senate requests Tinubu to exempt lawmakers from police withdrawal directive

meridianspyBy meridianspyDecember 11, 2025Updated:December 11, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

 

The Senate on Wednesday appealed to President Bola Tinubu to exempt its members from the presidential directive ordering the withdrawal of police personnel from VIPs, saying the decision poses a security risk to lawmakers.

The Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, who presided over the plenary, made the appeal after Bauchi Central Senator, Abdul Ningi, complained that his only police orderly had been withdrawn.

Mr Jibrin said the Senate leadership met on Tuesday to deliberate on the matter and resolved to appeal to the president to exempt lawmakers from the directive and restore officers already withdrawn.

“We all know that, and we know Mr President’s directive is in order and quite proper, but I want to assure you that the issue raised to protect you is taken seriously, and the leadership sat yesterday, agreed that the course of action should be undertaken to restore your police orderlies to you, because it’s in line with international practice,” he said.

The deputy senate president expressed confidence that the president would consider the request, describing Mr Tinubu as a listening leader.

“So, and I’m sure we have a listening president. He will listen to us, and by the grace of God, he will exempt us from that order which was given in good faith, and we all stand by Mr President in his effort to deal with the security problem in our country. He’s doing very well, and we always commend him because we know what he’s doing. So, that is being addressed,” he added.

READ ALSO  Tinubu Appoints Mustapha Abdullahi Secretary, Sports Sector Mobilisation for APC Campaign Council

On 23 November, President Tinubu ordered the immediate withdrawal of police officers assigned to VIPs across the country. The Special Protection Unit of the Nigeria Police Force has since begun implementing the directive.

The Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, said the directive followed an audit revealing that 11,566 officers are currently assigned to VIP protection duties. He advised those who still require protection to approach the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

Shortly after the Senate’s appeal, President Tinubu reaffirmed his order and directed the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, to work with the IGP and the NSCDC to immediately replace withdrawn escorts.

A few minutes into plenary, Mr Ningi, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), said he woke up on Wednesday to discover that the officer assigned to him had been withdrawn.

The senator said he had no objection to the directive but insisted it must apply to all political officeholders, including the president, Vice President Kashim Shettima, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, and Speaker Tajudeen Abbas.

“I have been around this National Assembly since 1999. Right from 1999 I was having one police orderly. I have never requested any additional security personnel, and I woke up today and was told that my police orderly and other police orderlies have been withdrawn.

“I have no problem with that. My problem is that this should go across the board. Let’s see what happens from the office of the president, to the vice president, to the senate president, to the speaker of the House, to the ministers,” he said.

READ ALSO  Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy

Mr Ningi added that while his orderly had been withdrawn, children of political officeholders, business executives, Chinese nationals in Nigeria, musicians, and other VIPs still moved around with large security convoys.

“Mr President, after they have withdrawn my only orderly. I saw two convoys of ministers, and they were carrying lots of security personnel. I have also seen Chinese and business concerns yesterday with a complement of orderlies. I have also seen the daughters and sons of political officeholders having orderlies and security details. I have seen singers having orderlies and complimentary protection,” he added.

The senator insisted that the withdrawal must apply to all categories of VIPs, including governors, noting that he would protect himself from any attack.

“I cannot ever imagine that a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigerian who has been here for a very long time, only one orderly, and he is withdrawn and nothing will happen. Like I said earlier Mr. President, I have no problem, but let it be done across the board. Let it be done across the board. I can take care of myself, but let me not see governors, ministers, and business concerned being covered by security establishment.

“This is unheard of in any democracy, and that’s why I said this is a matter that disturbs me. it concerns me. It is not right, and ishould be taken with all seriousness it deserves,” he added.

Mr Ningi urged the Senate to direct its Committee on Police Affairs to investigate why escorts were withdrawn from lawmakers but retained for other individuals.

READ ALSO  Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska

“And I call the interest of the President of the Senate to ask the Chairman Committee on Police to please investigate why are other people having security covers from the day the Presidency and the Inspector General of Police have made this announcement. You cannot just put the National Assembly as a scapegoat, and others enjoy the privileges of security control,” he added.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

Tinubu Appoints Mustapha Abdullahi Secretary, Sports Sector Mobilisation for APC Campaign Council

August 22, 2026

Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy

August 22, 2026

EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund

August 21, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Tinubu Appoints Mustapha Abdullahi Secretary, Sports Sector Mobilisation for APC Campaign Council
  • Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy
  • Kwara Politics: Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns From APC
  • Oil Output Rises As Pipeline Losses Decline
  • EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
  • Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska
  • Tinubu Orders Fresh Mapping of Nigeria’s Illicit Arms Network After 10 Years
  • CBN To Boost Digital Payment Adoption for economic Devt
  • Dangote Hikes Petrol Price as Crude Oil Hits $93
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.