Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Four Months After Terrorists Attack, 80% of Woro Residents Return — Village Head
News

Four Months After Terrorists Attack, 80% of Woro Residents Return — Village Head

meridianspyBy meridianspyJune 1, 2026No Comments9 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Woro village head, Alhaji Umar Bio Salih
Woro village head, Alhaji Umar Bio Salih
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

Four Months After Terrorists Attack, 80% of Woro Residents Return — Village Hea

By Kabir Abdulsalam

 

…confirms receipt of funds from Gov AbdulRazaq for rebuilding

 

More than 80 per cent of residents displaced by the February 3 terrorist attack on Woro community in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State have returned home, the village head, Alhaji Umar Bio Salih

u, has said.

Salihu, however, said he is yet to relocate permanently to the village because his palace, which was destroyed during the attack, has not been rebuilt.

 

Speaking with selected Defence journalists in Kaiama, the local government headquarters, the traditional ruler attributed the gradual return of residents to improved security and interventions by the Kwara State Government.

 

“Immediately after the attack, people fled the community completely. They ran for their lives. I was also advised to relocate because I was one of the major targets of the attackers. Fortunately, I have a house in Kaiama, and that is where I have remained since then,” he said.

 

According to him, the attackers razed his palace, six residential houses and 49 shops during the assault.

 

“My palace, together with about six houses and 49 shops, was completely burnt down. Since I have no accommodation in the village, I only visit occasionally until the palace is rebuilt,” he added.

 

 

Salihu commended Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq for the prompt response to the crisis, revealing that the governor approved funds for the reconstruction of his palace, a sum he said he had already received.

“My palace will soon be rebuilt. The government has released funds to begin the project. I hope to commence the construction immediately after the Sallah celebrations. Within the next three or four weeks, I should be able to return permanently to the community,” he said.

The traditional ruler said the governor also constituted a seven-member committee to coordinate relief efforts and included him in the panel to ensure effective representation of the affected community.

 

He recalled that the governor intervened swiftly after the attack by providing relief materials, and ordering the fumigation of the village and providing new boreholes after existing water sources were destroyed.

“Immediately after the incident, the governor came to our aid. He ordered the fumigation of the entire village and provided new boreholes because all sources of potable water had been destroyed by the terrorists,” he said.

READ ALSO  𝐋𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤-𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟔 𝐈𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲

Describing the brutality of the attack, Salihu said some victims were locked inside a room, doused with petrol and burnt alive.

 

“The terrorists locked some residents inside a room, poured petrol on them and set it ablaze, burning them to ashes. Some of the victims were so badly burnt that there were virtually no remains to bury. The resulting stench spread across the village, prompting the government to carry out fumigation in the community,” he said.

He noted that enhanced security measures have helped restore confidence among residents.

“After the attack, the government strengthened security in and around the village. To this day, there is a strong presence of military personnel, mobile police officers and forest guards. As security improved, we encouraged our people to return.

 

“Those who had fled to New Bussa, Wawa and neighbouring communities gradually began coming back. Today, Alhamdulillah, more than 80 per cent of the people have returned.”

 

Salihu said support from organisations such as UNICEF, the Red Cross and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), alongside government assistance, further encouraged displaced residents to return.

 

“If you visit Woro on a market day, especially on Sunday, you will see clear evidence that calm has returned to the village. People are returning and economic activities are gradually picking up again,” he said.

 

While expressing optimism that more residents would return in the coming months, he acknowledged that trauma and fear continue to prevent some families from going back.

 

“We may not achieve 100 per cent return immediately because some people are still traumatised. However, with the improved security situation and continued assistance from the state government, I believe everyone will eventually return,” he said.

 

Salihu further disclosed that the government has begun rebuilding some of the shops destroyed during the attack.

“A total of 49 shops were burnt. Reconstruction will be done in phases, beginning with the first 10 shops. This will help affected traders resume their businesses and rebuild their livelihoods,” he said.

The traditional ruler also called on the Federal Government to address security challenges around the vast forest areas bordering affected communities, describing the nearby national park as a haven for criminal elements.

He lamented that the forest reserve, which once served as an environmental and economic asset, has become a major security threat.

“Most communities located within the buffer zone of the national park are suffering because of their proximity to the forest. The park is extremely vast, covering hundreds of thousands of hectares, and has increasingly become a hideout for criminal groups.

READ ALSO  FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants

 

“The forest is extremely vast and has become a hideout for criminal groups, it has lost its original value as wildlife sanctuary. In the long term, government should establish a permanent military formation, such as a barracks or even an Air Force base, within the area, similar to what was done in Sambisa.

 

“That would help secure the area and stop criminals from exploiting the forest as a safe haven,” he said.

 

……

 

 

80% of Woro Residents Return After Terror Attack — Village Head

 

…traditional ruler yet to return as palace reconstruction begins

 

 

More than 80 per cent of residents displaced by the February 3, 2026 terrorist attack on Woro community in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State have returned home, the village head, Alhaji Umar Bio Salihu, has said, attributing the gradual recovery to improved security and government intervention.

 

Salihu, however, said he is yet to permanently relocate to the community because his palace, destroyed during the attack, is still undergoing reconstruction.

 

Speaking with The Nation in Kaiama, the local government headquarters, the traditional ruler said the community, which was initially deserted after the deadly assault, is gradually regaining normalcy as residents regain confidence in the security situation.

 

 

 

 

 

Salihu disclosed that Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq approved and released funds for the reconstruction of his palace, adding that work would commence immediately after the Sallah celebrations.

 

“The government has already released the money for the rebuilding of the palace. I expect construction to begin after Sallah, and within the next three or four weeks, I should be able to return permanently to the village,” he said.

 

Beyond rebuilding efforts, the village head said the state government implemented broader interventions to stabilise the community and support displaced residents.

 

He said Governor AbdulRazaq constituted a seven-member committee, which included him, to assess damages and coordinate relief efforts for affected residents.

 

According to him, the government also distributed relief materials, ordered fumigation of the village and provided new boreholes after existing water sources were destroyed during the attack.

 

“Immediately after the incident, the governor came to our aid. The village was fumigated, and new boreholes were provided because most of our potable water sources had been destroyed,” he said.

READ ALSO  Ogun Ex-Lawmaker Urges FG to Institutionalise Food Bank Programme

 

Describing the brutality of the attack, Salihu alleged that some residents were locked inside a room, doused with petrol and burnt alive by the attackers.

 

He said the severity of the incident made it difficult to recover some bodies for burial, while the stench from decomposing remains necessitated government-led fumigation across the community.

 

Security reinforcement after the attack, he said, played a major role in restoring public confidence and encouraging displaced residents to return.

 

“After the incident, security was reinforced in and around the village. Military personnel, mobile police officers and forest guards have maintained a strong presence here.

 

“Those who fled to places like New Bussa, Wawa and neighbouring communities gradually started returning. Today, more than 80 per cent of our people are back,” he said.

 

Salihu added that humanitarian interventions by organisations including UNICEF, the Red Cross and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) further encouraged the return of displaced residents.

 

He noted that economic activities were gradually rebounding, particularly during market days.

 

“If you visit Woro on a market day, especially on Sunday, you will see clear signs that normalcy is gradually returning. Businesses are reopening, and people are coming back,” he said.

 

While optimistic that more displaced residents would return in the coming months, the traditional ruler acknowledged that fear and trauma still prevent some families from returning.

 

“We may not achieve 100 per cent return immediately because some people are still traumatised. But with improved security and continued support, I believe everyone will eventually return,” he said.

 

Salihu further disclosed that the government had commenced phased reconstruction of some of the 49 shops destroyed during the attack to help traders rebuild their livelihoods.

 

He also called on the Federal Government to strengthen security around the vast forest corridor linking Kwara, Niger and Kogi states, warning that the nearby national park had increasingly become a sanctuary for armed groups.

 

“The forest is extremely vast and has become a hideout for criminal groups. In the long term, government should establish a permanent military formation, such as a barracks or even an Air Force base, within the area, similar to what was done in Sambisa.

 

“That would help secure the area and stop criminals from exploiting the forest as a safe haven,” he said.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund

August 21, 2026

Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska

August 21, 2026

FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants

August 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Kwara Politics: Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns From APC
  • Oil Output Rises As Pipeline Losses Decline
  • EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
  • Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska
  • Tinubu Orders Fresh Mapping of Nigeria’s Illicit Arms Network After 10 Years
  • CBN To Boost Digital Payment Adoption for economic Devt
  • Dangote Hikes Petrol Price as Crude Oil Hits $93
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
  • Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president
  • 2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.