Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Court Clears Jonathan to Challenge Tinubu in 2027
News

Court Clears Jonathan to Challenge Tinubu in 2027

meridianspyBy meridianspyMay 28, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

 The Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday dismissed a suit challenging former President Goodluck Jonathan’s eligibility to the 2027 presidential election.

 

The judge, Peter Lifu, in a judgement, also awarded a N20 million fine against the plaintiff, Johnmary Jideobi, who filed the suit based on a constitutional amendment prohibiting anyone from being sworn into the office of the president more than twice.

 

The fine was awarded in favour of Mr Jonathan.

 

The judge also awarded a N1 million fine against the plaintiff and in favour of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF).

 

Mr Lifu held that Mr Jideobi lacked the legal right to institute the suit, having not suffered any loss from Mr Jonathan’s perceived intention to vie for the 2027 presidential election.

 

The judge said he was bound by the appellate court’s decision, as the Federal High Court in Yenagoa and the Court of Appeal had already held that Mr Jonathan was eligible to run.

 

The judge then described the lawyer’s suit as “an abuse of court process.”

 

Justice Lifu also dismissed the Jideobi’s motion seeking the judge’s withdrawal from the case for being frivolous.

 

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mr Jideobi sued Mr Jonathan, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), and the AGF.

 

The plaintifff argued that Mr Jonathan, having been sworn in twice as president, cannot contest again in 2027 based on the provisions of Sections 1(1), (2) and (3) and 137(3) of the constitution.

READ ALSO  Ogun Ex-Lawmaker Urges FG to Institutionalise Food Bank Programme

 

He argued that INEC lacks constitutional power to accept Jonathan’s nomination for the 2027 presidential election. He also asked the court to compel the Attorney-General of the Federation to enforce any orders.

 

At the hearing of the case on 18 May, Mr Jonathan and the AGF opposed the plaintiff’s motion urging the judge to withdraw from the case on the grounds of alleged bias in the handling of the case.

 

Mr Jonathan’s lawyer, Mr Uche, described the application as frivolous and an abuse of court process.

 

“We want my lord to rely on the record of this honourable court,” he said. He said the claims amounted to “gross misrepresentation”.

 

He urged the court to dismiss the application and proceed with the substantive suit.

 

Also calling for the dismissal of the motion, AGF’s lawyer, Maimuna Lami-Shiru, said a judge may recuse himself only where impartiality is in doubt. However, she said the application brought by the plaintiff in the case lacked legal basis.

 

She called it “baseless, unmeritorious and an abuse of court process” and asked for cost in favour of the ministry.

 

After hearing arguments on the recusal motion, the judge proceeded to hear the preliminary objection and the substantive suit. He said he would deliver judgement if the recusal motion is not granted.

 

Mr Jonathan’s lawyer then moved the preliminary objection and asked the court to dismiss the suit with N50 million cost awarded against the plaintiff.

READ ALSO  𝐋𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤-𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟔 𝐈𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲

 

He relied on earlier decisions, including Andy Solomon v Jonathan and Cyracus Njoku v Jonathan, which he said went in Mr Jonathan’s favour.

 

He argued that Section 137(3) of the Constitution cannot apply retrospectively against Mr Jonathan, who last contested in 2015. He said the plaintiff used litigation for political exclusion, while no cause of action arose.

 

He added that Mr Jideobi lacked locus standi and asked the court to dismiss the suit. The AGF’s lawyer aligned with Mr Jonathan and asked the court to dismiss the case.

 

INEC did not appear in court, and the judge foreclosed its case.

 

Responding, Mr Ukpai, the plaintiff’s lawyer urged the court to dismiss the objections raised by Mr Jonathan and the Attorney-General of the Federation.

 

Jonathan’s presidential bid

 

It remains unclear if Mr Jonathan, who lost power to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, is interested in recontesting the office in 2027.

 

While he remains silent—neither denying nor confirming any intention to return to the office in 2027—about two weeks ago, a faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) backed by Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, announced him as the party’s sole presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections.

 

Mr Jonathan has yet to announce his acceptance of the nomination.

 

During the 2023 election cycle that produced President Bola Tinubu, speculations were also rife that Mr Jonathan would seek reelection.

He did not publicly speak about the subject then, nor did he obtain any political party’s nomination forms until the electioneering wound up

READ ALSO  FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund

August 21, 2026

Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska

August 21, 2026

FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants

August 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Kwara Politics: Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns From APC
  • Oil Output Rises As Pipeline Losses Decline
  • EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
  • Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska
  • Tinubu Orders Fresh Mapping of Nigeria’s Illicit Arms Network After 10 Years
  • CBN To Boost Digital Payment Adoption for economic Devt
  • Dangote Hikes Petrol Price as Crude Oil Hits $93
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
  • Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president
  • 2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.