Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»After Police Explain Reasons for Detention, Sowore Released
News

After Police Explain Reasons for Detention, Sowore Released

meridianspyBy meridianspyAugust 9, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Omoyele Sowore
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

The publisher of Sahara Reporters and human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, has been released from police custody, hours after the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) explained the reasons for his detention.

 

Sowore confirmed his release in a post on X (formerly Twitter) on Friday evening, accusing the police and the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun, of acting unlawfully.

 

“I have been released from unjust, unwarranted, and unlawful detention,” he wrote. “It is nothing to celebrate, but I can’t do without thanking you all for not giving up. You’ve all seen the power of unity.”

 

The former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) was arrested on Wednesday after honouring an invitation from the IGP Monitoring Unit at the Force Headquarters in Abuja. He remained in detention until Friday, prompting protests in Lagos, Abuja, Osun, and Oyo states by his supporters, who demanded his immediate release.

 

Earlier on Friday, the Commissioner of Police in charge of the Special Intervention Squad, Abayomi Shogunle, addressed journalists and protesters in Abuja, stating that Sowore’s arrest followed his alleged refusal to make a statement during police interrogation, despite being confronted with two petitions against him.

 

According to Shogunle, the petitions accused Sowore of forging a police document—which he allegedly published online—and engaging in cyberbullying.

 

“The two petitions were shown to him in my presence, alongside his lawyers,” Shogunle said in a video streamed by Sahara Reporters. “One concerns forgery of a police document, and the other relates to cyberbullying. The law is clear—you have a duty to explain how you obtained such a document. But he refused to make a statement, even in the presence of his lawyers.”

READ ALSO  2027: Makinde names ex-SSS DG Lawal Daura as running mate

 

Shogunle emphasised that Sowore was not coerced to speak and that the police were following due process.

 

“The same law that gives him the right to remain silent also imposes responsibilities on the police when a suspect chooses not to talk,” he explained. “We cannot simply release a suspect because he has decided to keep mute. Procedures under the law are being followed.”

 

When asked by a lawyer why Sowore was being held beyond the constitutionally stipulated 24 hours, Shogunle insisted that the detention was lawful.

 

“We are professionals, and we are complying with the law. Everything required in keeping someone in custody is being observed,” he said.

 

The police chief also offered to allow a few protesters to see Sowore in custody to verify that he was not being mistreated.

 

“He came here voluntarily, but the moment he refused to make a statement, his arrest was ordered. The law is being followed regarding his apprehension and detention,” Shogunle added.

 

Sowore, a prominent pro-democracy campaigner, has recently been vocal in criticising the police over a promotion exercise and led a protest demanding improved welfare for retired police officers

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. Police Investigate Viral Video Of Man In Force Uniform Smoking Shisha
  2. Resist All Violent, Riotous Elements Forthwith, IGP Orders AIGs, CPs
  3. Police Boss Approves Hardship Protests, Sets Conditions
Kayode Egbetokun Nigeria Police Force Sowore
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

Adeleke Salutes Tinubu Over Peaceful Osun Governorship Election

August 16, 2026

BREAKING: Adeleke Defeats APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term as Osun Governor

August 16, 2026

NYSC Denies MoU with NANS Over N200 Student Levy

August 15, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Nigeria Can Become Africa’s Construction, Infrastructure Powerhouse
  • OIKUs: Short-Let Properties Lead Rental Earnings Across Lagos
  • NIWA Partners to Clean Up Nigeria’s Waterways
  • Adeleke Salutes Tinubu Over Peaceful Osun Governorship Election
  • BREAKING: Adeleke Defeats APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term as Osun Governor
  • NYSC Denies MoU with NANS Over N200 Student Levy
  • Osun 2026: Oyebamiji Confident of Victory, Commends Tinubu for Security Deployment
  • Osun Poll: Massive Turnout, Slow Voting Raise Concern Over 2:30pm Deadline
  • 2027: Atiku Sues Tinubu over Alleged Certificate Forgery, Seeks Disqualification
  • Amnesty Launches Online Petition Against Senator Fadahunsi Over ‘Kill Accord’ Comment
  • 2027: Makinde names ex-SSS DG Lawal Daura as running mate
  • Trump announces tariffs of up to 100% on imported drones
  • Banks spend N76.5bn on marketing in three months
  • Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss
  • Haaland’s image found on cocaine packages seized in Ecuador
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.