Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»Foreign»Worst Of Virus Is Over – Pope Francis
Foreign

Worst Of Virus Is Over – Pope Francis

Kennedy IgweBy Kennedy IgweJune 7, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

Pope Francis, the head of the Catholic Church, says the worst of the dreaded coronavirus crisis was over in Italy.

The Pontiff said this on Sunday, while addressing those who assembled for his weekly Angelus prayer, for the first time in Saint Peter’s Square since the COVID-19 crisis began.

“Your presence in the square is a sign that in Italy the acute phase of the epidemic is over,” said Pope Francis.

“But be careful… do not celebrate victory too soon,” he warned, while urging them to continue following social distancing rules.

The pope’s comment comes just a day after Vatican spokesman, Matteo Bruni, in a statement late Saturday, said the last person found to have been infected with the virus disease in recent weeks had tested negative.

“Today there are no more cases of coronavirus among employees of the Vatican,” or within Vatican City,” said Bruni.

Twelve people in total within the Vatican had been infected by the virus, The Guardian reports.

The Argentine pope expressed his sympathy for those in some Latin American countries like Brazil and Peru, which have been hit hard by the coronavirus.

“Unfortunately in other countries — I am thinking of some of them — the virus continues to claim many victims,” he said.

“Last Friday, in one country, one person died every minute! Terrible. I wish to express my closeness to those populations, to the sick and their families, and to all those who care for them,” he said.

READ ALSO  Investors Gain N1.7trn as Banking, Industrial Shares Soar

During Italy’s two-month lockdown which began in March, Francis continued to address the faithful via videoconference from within a chapel within his Vatican residence.

The COVID-19 epidemic has killed nearly 34,000 people in Italy, but experts believe it has now been mostly been controlled.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. Pope Francis Tests Negative Again After Vatican Worker In His Residence Gets Infected
  2. ‘Divert Weapons Funding To Research To Prevent Next Pandemic’, Says Pope Francis
  3. Easter Celebration: Pope Francis Pleads With World Leaders To Grant Debt Relief To Poor Nations
  4. COVID-19: Wuhan Bans Eating Of Wild Animals, Global Cases Exceed Five Million
Catholic COVID-19 Pandemic Italy Matteo Bruni Meridian Spy Pope Francis Vatican
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kennedy Igwe

Related Posts

Charge El-Rufai to court or release him, ADC chieftain urges ICPC

February 21, 2026

FCT Polls: Residents Ignore Movement Restriction, Activities Continue in Abuja

February 21, 2026

FCT Polls: Youths Attack DSS Operative for Recording Vote Buying Incident

February 21, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Charge El-Rufai to court or release him, ADC chieftain urges ICPC
  • FCT Polls: Residents Ignore Movement Restriction, Activities Continue in Abuja
  • FCT Polls: Youths Attack DSS Operative for Recording Vote Buying Incident
  • FCT Polls: Chaos in Bwari Area Council, tear gas disrupts voting, voters flee
  • Interrogating the Russian Model in Africa By Oumarou Sanou
  • Investors Gain N1.7trn as Banking, Industrial Shares Soar
  • Banks, Telcos Settle N300bn USSD Debt Dispute After 4 Years  
  • DSS Picked Date to Arraign El-Rufai over Cybercrime, Security Breach
  • 117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme
  • Rivers assembly suspends impeachment proceedings against Fubara
  • Tinubu Signs Amended Electoral Act to End Delegate Primaries
  • Two Killed as Container Trucks Collide in Lagos
  • GenCos Faults ‘Institutionalised Extortion’ Allegations By NLC says Fact Misrepresented 
  • Tinubu Signs Executive Order Mandating Direct Remittance of Oil, Gas Revenues to Federation Account
  • ICPC ‘Reportedly’ Picked El-Rufai After 2 Night of  EFCC’s Grill
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.