Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Charge El-Rufai to court or release him, ADC chieftain urges ICPC
News

Charge El-Rufai to court or release him, ADC chieftain urges ICPC

meridianspyBy meridianspyFebruary 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

A chieftain of the African Democratic Congress, Usman Austin, has urged the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission to either charge former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, to court or release him.

 

In a statement made available to PUNCH Online on Saturday, Austin expressed concern over El-Rufai’s detention, calling on the commission to follow due process.

 

He referenced the approach of the Department of State Services, which he said had recently opted to seek judicial intervention in handling similar matters.

 

“The decision of the DSS to approach a court of law rather than resorting to arbitrary detention is both civil and democratic.

 

“The DSS has shown that the proper way to handle such matters is to let the court decide through merit-based arguments from both the prosecutor and the defendant,” he said.

 

He maintained that if there are allegations against El-Rufai, they should be addressed in court, stressing the importance of adhering to established legal procedures.

 

Austin also noted that El-Rufai had previously honoured an invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, describing the former governor as cooperative with investigative authorities.

 

“The EFCC is yet to explain the circumstances of this custody—whether Mallam El-Rufai was officially handed over to the ICPC or if he was re-arrested after being granted administrative bail. This ambiguity undermines the rule of law,” he said.

 

Austin called for clarity regarding the circumstances surrounding El-Rufai’s custody and emphasised the need for transparency in the handling of such matters.

READ ALSO  N’Assembly has over 14,000 workers, busiest parliament in world — Clerk

 

Related News

Mirabel’s lawyer urges patience as police probe TikToker’s rape allegations

Ribadu’s bugged phone: El-Rufai faces arraignment Feb 25

FCT, Kano, Rivers polls: Tinubu warns against violence, malpractices

Austin emphasised that it is a fundamental requirement of international best practices to protect the rights of the innocent until proven guilty.

 

“Arresting someone before commencing an investigation is a gross abuse of the right to a fair hearing. Anti-corruption agencies must not allow themselves to become willing tools of oppression if they wish to strengthen Nigeria’s democracy.

 

“The ICPC must uphold the standards of a civilised society. If there is a case against El-Rufai, let it be argued in court. If not, he must be released immediately,” the statement added.

 

PUNCH Online had reported that El-rufai, was on Wednesday, taken into custody by the operatives of the ICPC shortly after he was released by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

 

Sources at the EFCC confirmed to The PUNCH that the former governor had been released but was shortly taken into custody by operatives of the ICPC.

 

El-Rufai had arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja around 10 am on Monday for questioning and was held by the commission until Wednesday.

 

However, ICPC confirmed that the former governor is currently in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.

 

In a statement issued on Wednesday and signed by the Commission’s Head of Media and Public Communications, John Odey, the anti-graft agency disclosed that El-Rufai remains with the commission as of the close of work on February 18, 2026

READ ALSO  Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund

August 21, 2026

Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska

August 21, 2026

FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants

August 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Kwara Politics: Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns From APC
  • Oil Output Rises As Pipeline Losses Decline
  • EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
  • Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska
  • Tinubu Orders Fresh Mapping of Nigeria’s Illicit Arms Network After 10 Years
  • CBN To Boost Digital Payment Adoption for economic Devt
  • Dangote Hikes Petrol Price as Crude Oil Hits $93
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
  • Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president
  • 2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.