Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Nationwide Protest: Military Cautions Against Violence, Anarchy
News

Nationwide Protest: Military Cautions Against Violence, Anarchy

meridianspyBy meridianspyJuly 25, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

 

Nationwide Protest: Military Cautions Against Violence, Anarchy

 

The military high command has warned against the planned nationwide protest, citing concerns of anarchy and violence.

 

Major General Edward Buba, Director of Defence Media Operations, gave the warning at the bi-weekly press briefing in Abuja on Thursday.

 

He said the military will not stand by and allow the country to descend into chaos.

 

Buba noted that the military has identified signs of status-related violence, targeting individuals with smartphones, cars, houses, and businesses, as well as places of worship and members of opposing political parties. This, according to the military, indicates a level of violence that can be described as anarchy.

 

PRNigrria reports that this warning comes as Nigerians prepare for a nationwide protest on August 1st against the government’s handling of the economy and insecurity. However, the military warned that the timing and atmosphere of hardship in the country make this protest different from others in the past.

 

His words: “Some of which are whether or not  the planned strike is motivated by opposition politics, independent parties, sovereign interference, terrorist groups or any numbers of organizations that have feed on the frustrations of Nigerians to create the situation.

 

“However, for us in the military,  the constitution is clear as to how and when the military gets involved. The  constitution also clearly defines the roles and functions of the armed forces. On the otherhand, while citizens have a constitutional right to peaceful protest, they do not have a right to mobilise for anarchy in order to unleash terror.

READ ALSO  2027: APC Disqualifies Murray-Bruce, Adegboyega 45 Others Aspirants for Senate

 

“The comptemporary context of the planned protest  is to shadow happenings in Kenya which has so far been violent and  unresolved to date.

Given the situation, there are already indicators that, unscrupulous elements are bent on hijacking the planned protest for violent purposes.”

.

The DDMO said the military has been exposed to wars and have witnessed situations of anarchy in  countries ravaged by war, particularly during ECOMOG or during peacekeeping operations. It is for this reason that, troops will act dutifully  to forestall such ugly occurrences from happening in our nation.

 

He urged citizens to exercise restraint and allow the government to address the situation, rather than resorting to violence.

 

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. NLC Threatens Sanction To Private Sector Workers Who Ignore Monday Protest
  2. Military Troops nab  13 Bandits’ Informants, Village Head in Kaduna
  3. Military, Enugu Govt Parley to Improve Internal Security
military nationwide protest
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant

May 20, 2026

APC’s Abracadabra Primaries By Farooq Kperogi

May 20, 2026

Arsenal Win First English Premier League Title In 22 Years

May 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • CBN Retains Interest Rate at 26.5%
  • Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant
  • APC’s Abracadabra Primaries By Farooq Kperogi
  • Arsenal Win First English Premier League Title In 22 Years
  • El-Rufai Detention Drama Deepens as Family Accuses DSS of Defying Court Orders
  • Nigeria-US Joint Strikes Kill 175 ISIS Militants in North-East – DHQ
  • DHQ: No Terrorist Base in South-West Despite Oyo School Attack
  • Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
  • Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election
  • Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly
  • “We Are Activating a Citizen-Centred Tax Service System” – Tax Ombud
  • 63% of Nigerians Want Lower Interest Rates – CBN Survey
  • APC Panel Disqualifies Fubara’s Loyalists, Clears Wike’s Allies
  • 2027: APC Disqualifies Murray-Bruce, Adegboyega 45 Others Aspirants for Senate
  • Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged Illegal Interception of Ribadu’s Communications
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.