Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»FG fails to Recover N8tn Taxes withheld by IOCs, others
News

FG fails to Recover N8tn Taxes withheld by IOCs, others

meridianspyBy meridianspyApril 9, 2023No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

 

Despite facing a financial crisis, which has compelled it to obtain huge foreign loans, the Federal Government has yet to recover about N8tn taxes withheld by international and local oil companies, Global System of Mobile telecommunication service operators, insurance companies, pension fund administrators, and gaming and betting companies.

The withheld revenue was uncovered by the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit.

Investigations by the agency indicated that an approximate Value Added Taxation of N3.9tn and withholding tax of N3.7tn had also not been paid to the government’s coffer as well as various other amounts in foreign currencies.

In a report submitted to the National Assembly detailing its activities and performance in 2021, which was obtained by Sunday PUNCH on Friday, the NFIU, however, said efforts to recover the revenues were ongoing.

 

The report stated, “The NFIU has within the period under review made tax disclosures worth about N8tn and we shared our findings with the honourable Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, and by extension, the Federal Inland Revenue Service for investigation and collection of revenue for the Federal Government.

“Based on analysis of the NFIU data, we identified an approximate VAT of N3,909,707, 678,112.43 and withholding tax of N3,737, 918,335, 785.82 due to the government. Other currencies identified are $728,468,256.65; €6,083,548.57; £2,084,625.15 and 140,784.23 rand. The FIRS confirmed that they made significant recoveries based on our intelligence. The investigation is ongoing.”

READ ALSO  Insecurity: 31 States Spend N252bn on Security in Six Months

Our correspondent gathered that about N9.2bn had been paid by the debtors.

But efforts to get the latest recovered amount from the Federal Inland Revenue Service failed as the media aide to the Chairman, Tobi Wonuola, did not respond to inquiries despite promising to do so on Saturday.

The NFIU put the outstanding technology levy owed by telecom and insurance firms and others at N789.7bn.

“On the revenue due to the Federal Government, the NFIU analysed mandatory contributions, levies, dues, remittances from GSM service operators, insurance companies, pension fund administrators, and gaming and betting companies to be paid to the National Information Technology Development Levy totalling N789,781,246,148.15,’’ the report further stated.

A breakdown shows that 20 GSM firms with an inflow of N58tn owed N580.3bn and 201 insurance firms with an inflow of N9.9tn were indebted to the tune of N99.9bn.

On the other hand, 29 pension fund administrators with N10tn inflow have yet to remit N100.9bn, while 24 gaming and betting companies with an inflow of N851bn have not settled their N8.5bn technology development levy.

In the case of lottery abuses covering 82 companies, the agency said an approximate VAT of N20,333,173,589.69 and withholding tax of N17,663,803,947.99 were due to the Federal Government.

With the permission of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), the agency said it reversed over $170m to 11 countries through exchanges.

Similarly, there was a reversal of $560,578.00 to Peru on 11 cases; $7,079,850 to Turkey on five cases as well as $753,229.40 and $603,205.00 to the Philippines and Germany, among others.

READ ALSO  𝐋𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤-𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟔 𝐈𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲

It reviewed the revenue generated from the IOCs and local oil companies and found that many of them had failed to remit the three per cent of their revenue to the Niger Delta Development Commission in violation of Section 14(2) b of the NDDC) Act, 2017 (as amended).

The oil firms were said to be indebted to the commission to the tune of N676.5bn, $5.8bn and £78,621.13.

In the same vein, the NFIU received 11,034 correspondents from 101 ministries, departments and agencies within the reporting period.

Likewise, it sent 1,165 intelligence reports on cases of corruption, money laundering and other serious offences to 27 domestic agencies for investigation, prosecution and asset recovery.

To enhance its operational effectiveness, the agency entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with some domestic agencies, including the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, the Interpol, the National Lottery Regulatory Commission and the National Lottery Trust Fund.

A senior lawyer, Afam Osigwe, said tax evasion was a serious offence, adding that the NFIU could report the matter to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for proper investigation.

The former Nigerian Bar Association general-secretary stated, “Tax evasion or refusing to pay tax is an offence under the Company Income Tax Act and Companies Act. Now if there’s such a failure, I think it’s a matter that should be reported to the EFCC to investigate.

‘’A report can be made to the EFCC, which can be investigated as an economic crime. So, I don’t think that’s an issue we cannot handle because we have enough provisions in the law to deal with it. If the NFIU is right that they’re withholding taxes, then there’s an appropriate manner to activate the powers of the EFCC to investigate.’’

READ ALSO  Nigeria Launches Cloud Policy, Seeks $750m Investment in 24 Months

On his part, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, argued that it was impossible for the companies to have withheld that much in taxes without collusion with government officials.

He added that the government should demand the payments and where the companies refused, they should be prosecuted.

Jacobs stated, “Is it possible in any country without any collusion with a public official for those oil companies to withhold that sum of money, without any collusion from the government, from the inland revenue service itself and from all the relevant authorities? It’s not possible.

“But I think the government, if they are serious, should proceed against those people. And then the normal thing is to demand for them to make those payments. And then if they don’t do so, they can proceed against them, criminally and civilly. But I know they would like to negotiate and settle.”

PUNCH

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. No Going Back On Water Resources Bill – FG
  2. ENDSARS: Investigate Lekki Massacre, UN Tells FG
  3. Naira Swap: CBN Approves N20,000 Over-the-counter Payment
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT Global System of Mobile telecommunication NFIU
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

𝐋𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤-𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟔 𝐈𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲

August 19, 2026

N’Assembly has over 14,000 workers, busiest parliament in world — Clerk

August 19, 2026

How ADC worked with Accord to defeat APC –ADC Spokwsman

August 18, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐎𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐓𝐨 𝐆𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐚
  • 𝐎𝐬𝐮𝐧 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐥: 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐀𝐭 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐭 ₦𝟒𝟎𝐁𝐧, 𝐅𝐚𝐲𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐃𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐨
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐂𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈𝐧 𝐎𝐧 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐄𝐳𝐫𝐢 𝐊𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐚
  • 𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐈𝐧 𝐄𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐲𝐢 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐞
  • 𝐋𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤-𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟔 𝐈𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲
  • 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐭𝐚 𝐃𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐲𝐬 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐕𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐥 𝐓𝐨 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐛𝐚𝐭 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐟𝐭
  • N’Assembly has over 14,000 workers, busiest parliament in world — Clerk
  • Tinubu Billed to Address World Leaders at 81st UN Assembly
  • No Alliance: Adeleke Denies ADC Role in Re-Election
  • Salary Crisis: NLC Warns of Fresh Health Sector Strike
  • Obi, Others Sign Peace Pact as 2027 Campaign Begins Today
  • Off-Cycle Polls: Jonathan Decries Govs’ Show of Force
  • How ADC worked with Accord to defeat APC –ADC Spokwsman
  • Tinubu Support Group Kicks Off 2027 Campaign With 3,000-Man Walk
  • How to Apply for FG Loan to Build, Buy a House
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.