Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»CNN Report On Lekki Shooting Capable Of Setting Nigeria On Fire – Lai Mohammed
News

CNN Report On Lekki Shooting Capable Of Setting Nigeria On Fire – Lai Mohammed

Kennedy IgweBy Kennedy IgweNovember 24, 2020Updated:November 24, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information and Culture, has again slammed CNN over its report on the shooting incident at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos, stating that it is capable of setting the nation on fire.

Recall that after carrying out an independent investigation, the CNN alleged in its report that soldiers used live bullets on the protesters but the army repeatedly denied it, saying it fired blank bullets into the air.

Mohammed had earlier condemned the report, described it as irresponsible journalism but the American news outlet replied its report was “carefully and meticulously researched’ and it stands by it.

In a letter addressed to Jonathan Hawkins, CNN Communications VP, on Monday, the Minister insisted that the report lacked fairness and balance on the grounds that it only “contacted over 100 protesters and family members, but did not speak to one official of Nigeria’s federal government”.

He further demanded “an immediate and exhaustive investigation from CNN into its ‘investigative’ report on the Lekki Toll Gate incident to determine, among others, its authenticity, whether or not it met the basic standards of journalism and also the selective use of unverified social media videos to manipulate public opinion”.

“Our attention has been drawn to an ‘investigation’ by CNN, entitled ‘How a Bloody Night of Bullets Quashed a Young Protest Movement’ and aired on 18 Nov. 2020, in which the international news organization said it had ”uncovered that Nigerian security forces opened fire on unarmed protesters” at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos, Nigeria, during the #EndSARS protest,” the letter read.

READ ALSO  2027: APC Disqualifies Murray-Bruce, Adegboyega 45 Others Aspirants for Senate

“In the first instance, the report did not live up to the most basic of the core principles of journalism – balance and fairness.

“Rushing to air such a momentous story without presenting the government’s side is inexcusable and indefensible. CNN said it contacted over 100 protesters and family members, but did not speak to one official of Nigeria’s federal government. While CNN said there was no response from the army and that officials of Lagos State would not speak in view of the Judicial Panel that is investigating the matter, it did not say what effort it made to speak with any official of the federal government.

“The truth is that CNN did not even attempt to reach the federal government. Nima Elbagir, who presented the report and most probably led the investigation, is conversant with the Minister of Information and Culture, yet did not say that she even tried to reach the Minister.

“Another serious breach by CNN, in its ‘investigation’, is that the network relied heavily on unverified footages it harvested from social media. CNN was not present at the Lekki Toll Gate on the night of the incident. Neither its reporter nor cameraman was there, but it relied on eyewitnesses.

“CNN has said it stands by its story, and that ‘our reporting was carefully and meticulously researched’, this is baffling, considering that the story lacks fairness and balance, as we have pointed out, and that the organization relied heavily on manipulated social media videos. This resort to an escapist cliche seems more like a face-saving measure by an otherwise respectable news network caught in the blinding glare of ‘fake news and disinformation’ headlamps.

READ ALSO  Arsenal Win First English Premier League Title In 22 Years

“CNN, in its rush to nail soldiers and tell a ‘radically different story’, conveniently left out these parts of the Godson video, which could have shown that armed hoodlums invaded the Lekki Toll Gate that night, and could have hit any of the protesters as they shot sporadically. This is clearly a ploy by the CNN reporter/presenter to manipulate viewers of its ‘investigative’ report and force them to draw the reporter’s desired conclusion!

“As a form of remediation, Nigeria’s Federal Government demands an immediate and exhaustive investigation from CNN into its ‘investigative’ report on the Lekki Toll Gate incident to determine, among others, its authenticity, whether or not it met the basic standards of journalism and also the selective use of unverified social media videos to manipulate public opinion. While it is up to CNN to accede or not, please note that the Federal Government reserves the right to take any action within its laws to prevent CNN from aggravating the #EndSARS crisis with unprofessional, irresponsible, one-sided, inciting and sensational reporting that is capable of pitching Nigerians against themselves and setting the country on fire.”

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. It’s Irresponsible Journalism – FG Threatens To Sanction CNN Over Report On Lekki Shooting
  2. Our Report Was Carefully Researched, We Stand By It – CNN Replies FG On Lekki Shooting
  3. International Community Denying Us Weapons To Tackle Insurgency – Lai Mohammed
  4. Lekki Shooting: Nigerian Army Denies Knowledge Of Curfew Time Extension
READ ALSO  Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged Illegal Interception of Ribadu’s Communications
CNN Lai Mohammed lekki toll gate shooting Meridian Spy Nigeria News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kennedy Igwe

Related Posts

Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant

May 20, 2026

APC’s Abracadabra Primaries By Farooq Kperogi

May 20, 2026

Arsenal Win First English Premier League Title In 22 Years

May 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • CBN Retains Interest Rate at 26.5%
  • Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant
  • APC’s Abracadabra Primaries By Farooq Kperogi
  • Arsenal Win First English Premier League Title In 22 Years
  • El-Rufai Detention Drama Deepens as Family Accuses DSS of Defying Court Orders
  • Nigeria-US Joint Strikes Kill 175 ISIS Militants in North-East – DHQ
  • DHQ: No Terrorist Base in South-West Despite Oyo School Attack
  • Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
  • Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election
  • Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly
  • “We Are Activating a Citizen-Centred Tax Service System” – Tax Ombud
  • 63% of Nigerians Want Lower Interest Rates – CBN Survey
  • APC Panel Disqualifies Fubara’s Loyalists, Clears Wike’s Allies
  • 2027: APC Disqualifies Murray-Bruce, Adegboyega 45 Others Aspirants for Senate
  • Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged Illegal Interception of Ribadu’s Communications
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.