Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»Business»$311m Returned Abacha Loot To Be Used For Critical Infrastructural Projects, Including 2nd Niger Bridge, Mambilla Power Project – Presidency
Business

$311m Returned Abacha Loot To Be Used For Critical Infrastructural Projects, Including 2nd Niger Bridge, Mambilla Power Project – Presidency

Kennedy IgweBy Kennedy IgweMay 5, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

The Nigeria Government has said the USD$311 million returned Abacha loot from the US and Jersey will be utilised for vital and decades-overdue infrastructure development in the country.

Media aide to President Muhammadu Buhari, Garba Shehu, in a statement via his verified Twitter handle on Tuesday, confirmed the receipt of the said amount on Monday, May 4, 2020, stating that it was safely returned to the country from the United States.

Shehu said the ‘funds have already been allocated, and will be used in full, for vital and decades-overdue infrastructure development: The second Niger Bridge, the Lagos-Ibadan and Abuja-Kaduna-Kano expressways – creating tens of thousands of Nigerian construction jobs and local skill which can then be useful in future projects.

He stated: “Part of the funds will also be invested in the Mambilla Power Project which, when completed, will provide electricity to some three million homes – over ten million citizens – in our country.

“The receipt of these stolen monies – and the hundreds of millions more that have already been returned from the United Kingdom and Switzerland – are an opportunity for the development of our nation, made far harder for those decades the country was robbed of these funds. “

The media aide explained that previous monies returned last year from Switzerland, some $320 million US dollars, were already being used for the government’s free school feeding scheme, a stipend for millions of disadvantaged citizens, and grain grants for those in severe food hardship.

READ ALSO  Police Dismiss, Prosecute Officers Over Kidnapping, Robbery, Extortion in Rivers

“Without these funds, the fight against Covid-19 would be even tougher,” he added.

He stated that ‘the latest return is a testament to the growing and deepening relationship between the government of Nigeria and the government of the United States’.

Adding, “without the cooperation both from the UK Government, the US Executive branch and US Congress, we would not have achieved the return of these funds at all.”

Shehu further berated previous administration, stating that, “for years many countries deemed successive Nigerian administrations as too corrupt, too venal and too likely to squander and re-steal the stolen monies – so they did not return the funds.”

“Today, US, UK and other jurisdictions have found the partnership with the nation of Nigeria they can finally trust,” he concluded.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. Banks In FCT, Lagos And Ogun To Reopen On Monday – FG
  2. NMA Frowns At FG Easing Of Lockdown, Says The Decision Is Premature
  3. COVID-19: SERAP Appeals To Buhari To Use Confiscated Stolen Assets As Isolation Centres
  4. PTF Identifies Cause Of Kano Mysterious Deaths
Abacha loot Garba Shehu Meridian Spy Muhammadu Buhari Nigeria News Presidency USA
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kennedy Igwe

Related Posts

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18, 2026

Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election

May 18, 2026

Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly

May 18, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
  • Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election
  • Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly
  • “We Are Activating a Citizen-Centred Tax Service System” – Tax Ombud
  • 63% of Nigerians Want Lower Interest Rates – CBN Survey
  • APC Panel Disqualifies Fubara’s Loyalists, Clears Wike’s Allies
  • 2027: APC Disqualifies Murray-Bruce, Adegboyega 45 Others Aspirants for Senate
  • Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged Illegal Interception of Ribadu’s Communications
  • Police Dismiss, Prosecute Officers Over Kidnapping, Robbery, Extortion in Rivers
  • Ex-Power Minister Jailed 75 Years for N33.8bn Fraud
  • Want Good Roads and Hospitals? Pay Your Taxes, Tinubu Urges Nigerians
  • Speaker Abbas Returns Unopposed As APC Candidate For Zaria Constituency 
  • Oil Prices Ease as Shipping Resumes in Hormuz Strait
  • NNPC Urged to Revive Refineries Following Dangote Snub
  • Africa CDC Confirms 65 Deaths in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.