Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»Business»Why There’s No Provision For Fuel Subsidy In Revised 2020 Budget – Presidency
Business

Why There’s No Provision For Fuel Subsidy In Revised 2020 Budget – Presidency

Kennedy IgweBy Kennedy IgweSeptember 7, 2020Updated:September 7, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

The Presidency has given reasons why there was no allocation for fuel subsidy in the revised 2020 budget.

The removal of subsidy by the government meant the price of fuel would be determined by the vagaries of the international crude oil market.

Thus, as the price of oil rose in the market above $40 per barrel, without subsidy, a corresponding increase in the price of refined petrol in Nigeria was effected by the government from N148 to N161 per litre.

Explaining the reason fuel subsidy was not included in the 2020 budget on Monday, the Presidency quoted President Muhammadu Buhari to have said it was the only way other critical sectors of the economy such as health and education could be adequately funded.

“There is no provision for fuel subsidy in the revised 2020 budget, simply because we are not able to afford it, if reasonable provisions must be made for health, education and other social services. We simply can not sustain petroleum subsidy,” the Presidency tweeted on Monday.

“There is no provision for fuel subsidy in the revised 2020 budget, simply because we are not able to afford it, if reasonable provisions must be made for health, education and other social services. We simply can not sustain petroleum subsidy.” — President @MBuhari

— Presidency Nigeria (@NGRPresident) September 7, 2020

Sahara Reporters, however, reported earlier that some Civil Society Organisations (CSO) under the auspices of Nigerians Against Bad Policies on Monday shut down the premises of the National Secretariat of Nigeria Labour Congress over the silence by the leadership of the union on the hike in pump price of petrol and electricity tariff by the Nigerian Government.

READ ALSO  Nigeria Launches Cloud Policy, Seeks $750m Investment in 24 Months

The protesters, who prevented the staff from going in and out of the complex, paralysed the administrative activities and vehicular movement in the complex.

The protesters called on the leadership of the union to call for strike and mass action against the anti-people policies of President Buhari’s government.

“We say no to fuel price increase and hike in electricity tariffs. We want NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, and TUC to call for total strike and shutdown of all sectors of economy until this wicked and insensitive government reverse fuel pump price to N87,” Gerald Katchy, saidon behalf of the group during the protest.

“If you are silent to the bad policies you still a slave. If you are afraid to speak up in the face of bad governance you are still a slave. The only way we can be assured that NLC President has not compromised is for him to take action and call for strike.”

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. $311m Returned Abacha Loot To Be Used For Critical Infrastructural Projects, Including 2nd Niger Bridge, Mambilla Power Project – Presidency
  2. Gbajabiamila Blames Insecurity For Nigeria’s Low Attraction To Investors
  3. UK Court Judgement On P&ID, Relief To Protect Nigeria’s National Assets From Criminally-Minded Organisations – Presidency
  4. Reps Member Charges FG To Conduct New Census, Says Exercise Key To Economic Recovery
2020 budget fuel subsidy Meridian Spy Muhammadu Buhari Nigeria News Presidency
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kennedy Igwe

Related Posts

FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants

August 20, 2026

Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

August 20, 2026

2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation

August 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
  • Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president
  • 2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation
  • UK Pledges £442m to Get Rough Sleepers Off Streets by Christmas
  • Cross River Gov Orders Aides to Withdraw Case Against Critic
  • Ogun Ex-Lawmaker Urges FG to Institutionalise Food Bank Programme
  • UK Ex-Commonwealth Champion Baptiste Found Jailed in Morocco
  • Omo-Agege Raises Alarm Over Alleged Threats to Life, Holds Delta Governor Responsible
  • 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐎𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐓𝐨 𝐆𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐚
  • 𝐎𝐬𝐮𝐧 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐥: 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐀𝐭 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐭 ₦𝟒𝟎𝐁𝐧, 𝐅𝐚𝐲𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐃𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐨
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.