Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»There’ll Be No Nigeria In Five Years If We Don’t Tackle Social Media Vices – Desmond Elliot
News

There’ll Be No Nigeria In Five Years If We Don’t Tackle Social Media Vices – Desmond Elliot

meridianspyBy meridianspyOctober 29, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

Desmond Elliot, a Nollywood actor who is representing Surulere constituency in the Lagos state house of assembly, says there’ll be no Nigeria in five years if the vices of social media aren’t tackled, The Cable reports.

The film star had earlier denied claims by Harvey Olufumilayo, a Twitter influencer, that he pushed for a bill to regulate social media — sparking controversy on Twitter.

But on Thursday, a video of Elliot speaking at a recent plenary — where he addressed the vices of social media — surfaced and went viral on the microblogging platform.

In the video, the lawmaker reacted to the unrest that trailed the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll gate.

“We need to address certain things: Nigerian youth; social media; social influencers. These make the narrative that we’re seeing today. Except we’re joking with ourselves, social media has its negative impacts,” he can be heard saying.

“Let me first thank you for condemning the wanton killings and carnage that happened at Lekki. When I went through the comments, I could not believe it, Mr. Speaker. Curses, the abuses from children.

“And I asked myself, ‘Is this Nigeria? What is going on? Children cursing. People having the effrontery to enter an Oba’s palace and hold his staff of office? Culture is gone!

https://twitter.com/DrOlufunmilayo/status/1321787360548392961?s=20

“Mr. Speaker, in the next five years, there will be no Nigeria if we don’t start now. The youth is not only those who do the peaceful protest. Those who have looted and destroyed lives, they are youths as well.

READ ALSO  BREAKING: Adeleke Defeats APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term as Osun Governor

“Pregnant women went into malls, picked things, and went away. When shall we change this narrative? I put it to all the celebrities out there and all the motivational speakers. This is the only country we have.

“When anything happens, what is our common say is ‘we die here’. Please celebrities and social media influencers, stop the hatred already. You have a means constitutionally to change the government, it’s called your PVC.”

Elliot had a few weeks ago provoked outrage on social media after he defended and described his own political career as being a product of godfatherism.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. Your Grievances Are Being Addressed – Sports Minister Urges Naira Marley, Others Not To Protest Against SARS
  2. #ENDSARS: Your Feelings Of Frustration Are Justified – Osinbajo Apologises To Nigerian Youths
  3. Hooligans Pushing For Regime Change Through ENDSARS Protest – Northern Governors
  4. EndSARS Protests Fuelled Looting Of Public, Private Property, Not Poverty, Says Femi Adesina
desmond elliot endsars protest Harvey Olufumilayo Meridian Spy Nigeria News social media vices
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy
  • Website

Related Posts

Adeleke Salutes Tinubu Over Peaceful Osun Governorship Election

August 16, 2026

BREAKING: Adeleke Defeats APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term as Osun Governor

August 16, 2026

NYSC Denies MoU with NANS Over N200 Student Levy

August 15, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Nigeria Can Become Africa’s Construction, Infrastructure Powerhouse
  • OIKUs: Short-Let Properties Lead Rental Earnings Across Lagos
  • NIWA Partners to Clean Up Nigeria’s Waterways
  • Adeleke Salutes Tinubu Over Peaceful Osun Governorship Election
  • BREAKING: Adeleke Defeats APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term as Osun Governor
  • NYSC Denies MoU with NANS Over N200 Student Levy
  • Osun 2026: Oyebamiji Confident of Victory, Commends Tinubu for Security Deployment
  • Osun Poll: Massive Turnout, Slow Voting Raise Concern Over 2:30pm Deadline
  • 2027: Atiku Sues Tinubu over Alleged Certificate Forgery, Seeks Disqualification
  • Amnesty Launches Online Petition Against Senator Fadahunsi Over ‘Kill Accord’ Comment
  • 2027: Makinde names ex-SSS DG Lawal Daura as running mate
  • Trump announces tariffs of up to 100% on imported drones
  • Banks spend N76.5bn on marketing in three months
  • Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss
  • Haaland’s image found on cocaine packages seized in Ecuador
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.