Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Sanwo-Olu calls for calm after GNI building fire outbreak
News

Sanwo-Olu calls for calm after GNI building fire outbreak

meridianspyBy meridianspyDecember 25, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

Sanwo-Olu calls for calm after GNI building fire outbreak

 Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has urged residents of the state to remain calm following a fire incident at the 25-storey Great Nigeria Insurance (GNI) Building on Martins Street, Lagos Island.

The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, said in a statement on Thursday that no casualty was recorded in the incident, while the cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained.

Omotoso said that the governor, who had been personally monitoring the situation since the incident was reported, immediately directed the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, to intensify response efforts and ensure evacuation of adjoining buildings.

According to him, the distress call was received at about 4:41 p.m., prompting an immediate response from fire crews at the Ebute Elefun and Dolphin Fire Stations, with reinforcement from the Sari Iganmu Fire Station and the Alausa Headquarters.

“The firefighters arrived at the scene within 12 minutes, at about 4:53 p.m., and commenced coordinated containment operations,” he said.

He added that preliminary reports indicated that the fire started from the fifth floor of the building before spreading to other levels.

The commissioner explained that the affected structure, which was formerly used as corporate office space, currently serves mainly as a warehouse and retail outlet for clothing materials.

Omotoso said that the governor remained in constant communication with emergency responders and security agencies well into the early hours of the morning.

READ ALSO  Cross River Gov Orders Aides to Withdraw Case Against Critic

“As at about 3:40 a.m., when the fire had largely been brought under control, the governor was still receiving updates and issuing directives.

“Our priority is the safety of lives; I have directed that the building and its surroundings be thoroughly secured, and that emergency personnel must ensure that no one is left inside,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu also commended firefighters and first responders for their swift and courageous response, assuring Lagosians that the situation is under control.

“Lagosians should remain calm; The situation is under control,” he said.

Omotoso added that security agencies had been deployed to cordon off the area, while first responders continued safety assessments to prevent any secondary incidents.

He assured residents that the Lagos State Government remains fully on top of the situation and would provide further updates as necessary.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy

August 22, 2026

EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund

August 21, 2026

Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska

August 21, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Ben Bruce to Governors: Spend 5% of FAAC on Transport Subsidy
  • Kwara Politics: Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns From APC
  • Oil Output Rises As Pipeline Losses Decline
  • EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
  • Plane crash kills eight at US Air Force site in Alaska
  • Tinubu Orders Fresh Mapping of Nigeria’s Illicit Arms Network After 10 Years
  • CBN To Boost Digital Payment Adoption for economic Devt
  • Dangote Hikes Petrol Price as Crude Oil Hits $93
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
  • Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.