Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»ICPC ‘Reportedly’ Picked El-Rufai After 2 Night of  EFCC’s Grill
News

ICPC ‘Reportedly’ Picked El-Rufai After 2 Night of  EFCC’s Grill

meridianspyBy meridianspyFebruary 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

ICPC ‘Reportedly’ Picked El-Rufai After 2 Night of  EFCC’s Grill

The Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) on Wednesday night arrested former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, shortly after he was released on bail by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Mr El-Rufai had been in EFCC custody since Monday over allegations of corruption. He was granted bail at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday but was immediately taken into custody by ICPC operatives at the premises of the EFCC headquarters in Abuja, according to witnesses.

His arrest by the SSS is linked to allegations that he unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of Nigeria’s National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu. On Monday, the SSS filed cybercrime charges against him before the Federal High Court in Abuja in a suit marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026. The charges followed remarks he made during a live interview on Arise Television last Friday.

During the programme, Mr El-Rufai alleged that the NSA’s phone conversation had been tapped and that he overheard Mr Ribadu directing security operatives to detain him. He claimed the directive led to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport last Thursday shortly after his return from Cairo, Egypt. Videos circulating online showed a brief confrontation between security personnel and members of his entourage, during which his international passport was reportedly confiscated before he was escorted out of the airport amid chants from supporters.

Prosecutors allege that Mr El-Rufai admitted to intercepting the NSA’s communications, failed to report others involved in unlawful interception, and compromised public safety and national security through the use of technical systems to access the phone lines. The alleged offences are said to contravene provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003. No date has been fixed for his arraignment, and he has yet to publicly respond to the charges.

READ ALSO  Tinubu Signs Executive Order Mandating Direct Remittance of Oil, Gas Revenues to Federation Account

His lawyer, Ubong Akpan, earlier condemned the attempted airport arrest, describing it as arbitrary and unconstitutional. According to him, the EFCC invitation had been delivered to Mr El-Rufai’s residence while he was abroad, making immediate compliance impracticable. He said his client formally communicated with the commission and scheduled voluntary attendance for 10 a.m. on Monday upon his return. He also demanded the immediate return of his client’s passport, describing its seizure as an infringement on his constitutional rights, including freedom of movement, and warned that legal action would be pursued against any unlawful detention.

Mr El-Rufai has faced mounting scrutiny since leaving office, including allegations of diverting N423 billion in public funds. In 2024, the Kaduna State House of Assembly called for investigations into his administration, while the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) also invited him for questioning.

A former ally of President Bola Tinubu, Mr El-Rufai supported Mr Tinubu’s emergence as the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate in 2023. Their relationship later deteriorated after the former governor’s ministerial nomination did not materialise. He has since joined the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) and vowed to work with other opposition figures to challenge Mr Tinubu’s re-election bid in 2027

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme

February 19, 2026

Two Killed as Container Trucks Collide in Lagos

February 19, 2026

GenCos Faults ‘Institutionalised Extortion’ Allegations By NLC says Fact Misrepresented 

February 19, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • 117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme
  • Rivers assembly suspends impeachment proceedings against Fubara
  • Tinubu Signs Amended Electoral Act to End Delegate Primaries
  • Two Killed as Container Trucks Collide in Lagos
  • GenCos Faults ‘Institutionalised Extortion’ Allegations By NLC says Fact Misrepresented 
  • Tinubu Signs Executive Order Mandating Direct Remittance of Oil, Gas Revenues to Federation Account
  • ICPC ‘Reportedly’ Picked El-Rufai After 2 Night of  EFCC’s Grill
  • Meta Patents AI to Simulate Activity of Deceased Users 
  • Tinubu praises Christian, Muslims in his Lent, Ramadan Message 
  • Tinubu Picks Uba Sani to Drive Renewed Hope Agenda Nationwide
  • IPMAN Seeks $10bn for Refinery Project
  • Oil prices rise as Trump warns Iran ahead of talks
  • US Troops, Equipment Now in Nigeria – DHQ Confirms 
  • NRS Rolls Out E-Invoicing System for Businesses
  • DSS on Standby as EFCC Detains El-Rufai
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.