Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»Sport»Why NFF yet to confirm Waldrum’s new contract
Sport

Why NFF yet to confirm Waldrum’s new contract

meridianspyBy meridianspySeptember 28, 2023Updated:September 28, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

PUNCH  can exclusively report that the cancellation of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers involving Nigeria and Sao and Principe hindered the contract talks between the Nigeria Football Federation and Randy Waldrum.

Waldrum took over the Super Falcons job in 2020 after he signed a three-year deal with the federation and his contract is set to expire next month.

The country’s football governing body had begun contract renewal talks with American, who led the former African champions to a round of 16 finish at the 2023 Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand last month.

Earlier this month, following reports (not PUNCH Sports Extra) that Waldrum had been sacked after the NFF held its Executive Committee meeting in Uyo, an aide to the NFF president, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told PUNCH Sports Extra that the federation officials were happy with the American gaffer’s performance at the World Cup and thus urged its Technical Committee to immediately reach out to Waldrum for the renewal of a new deal, a one-year contract.

 

 

Two weeks after the report, there had been no confirmation announcing the renewal of the 67-year-old coach and a source in the Super Falcons camp had revealed to our correspondent that both parties were scheduled to discuss terms earlier this month.

“The Technical Director reached out to Waldrum to say they wanted to keep him on moving forward,” the source said.

READ ALSO  𝐀𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐂𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈𝐧 𝐎𝐧 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐄𝐳𝐫𝐢 𝐊𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐚

 

“They were going to meet to renegotiate during the São Tomé games but obviously they didn’t get to do so with the games being cancelled. Hopefully, they will reach out to him soon and start the process.”

The nine-time African champions were to host the Sao Tome and Principe ladies in the first leg of the qualifying match at the Mobolaji Johnson Arena, Lagos September 22, with the return leg scheduled for Tuesday, September, 26.

The Island country however pulled out of the qualifiers citing logistics as the primary reason for their opponents’ withdrawal from the WAFCON qualifiers.

“Sao Tome have officially withdrawn from the game against Nigeria,” he said.

“They said they don’t have a stadium in their country and that has increased their cost of participating in international competitions,” NFF’s Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, told journalist

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

UK Ex-Commonwealth Champion Baptiste Found Jailed in Morocco

August 20, 2026

𝐀𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐂𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈𝐧 𝐎𝐧 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐄𝐳𝐫𝐢 𝐊𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐚

August 19, 2026

Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss

August 14, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • UK Pledges £442m to Get Rough Sleepers Off Streets by Christmas
  • Cross River Gov Orders Aides to Withdraw Case Against Critic
  • Ogun Ex-Lawmaker Urges FG to Institutionalise Food Bank Programme
  • UK Ex-Commonwealth Champion Baptiste Found Jailed in Morocco
  • Omo-Agege Raises Alarm Over Alleged Threats to Life, Holds Delta Governor Responsible
  • 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐎𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐓𝐨 𝐆𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐚
  • 𝐎𝐬𝐮𝐧 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐥: 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐀𝐭 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐭 ₦𝟒𝟎𝐁𝐧, 𝐅𝐚𝐲𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐃𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐨
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐂𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈𝐧 𝐎𝐧 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐄𝐳𝐫𝐢 𝐊𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐚
  • 𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐈𝐧 𝐄𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐲𝐢 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐞
  • 𝐋𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤-𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟔 𝐈𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲
  • 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐭𝐚 𝐃𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐲𝐬 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐕𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐥 𝐓𝐨 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐛𝐚𝐭 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐟𝐭
  • N’Assembly has over 14,000 workers, busiest parliament in world — Clerk
  • Tinubu Billed to Address World Leaders at 81st UN Assembly
  • No Alliance: Adeleke Denies ADC Role in Re-Election
  • Salary Crisis: NLC Warns of Fresh Health Sector Strike
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.