Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»Obaseki Vows To Resist Attempt Of Illegal Take Over Of Edo Assembly
News

Obaseki Vows To Resist Attempt Of Illegal Take Over Of Edo Assembly

Kennedy IgweBy Kennedy IgweAugust 6, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki has declared that he will resist attempt by anyone to illegally take over the state House of Assembly.

Speaking with newsmen at the assembly complex in Benin on Thursday, Obaseki said he would do everything within his constitutional powers to protect the sovereignty of the house and the state.

This is coming after the Assembly Speaker, Frank Okiye alleged that Gov. Hope Uzodinma of Imo State and the impeached Deputy Speaker of the house, Yekini Idiaye, were working in cahoot to import a fake mace to violently take over control of the assembly.

“Nigeria is governed by the constitution and President Muhammadu Buhari has always said we must follow the rules of law and do things according to the law,” said the incumbent governor.

“For us as the executive, we will use the instrument available to us constitutionally to protect the house and the state.”

Obaseki further uged the House to go about its normal duties as a parliament as prescribed by the constitution.

Also, Philip Shaibu, the Deputy Governor, vowed that the state government would not allow other members of the assembly whose seat had been declared vacant to take over the house.

Shaibu said the affected elected legislators have yet to be constitutionally inaugurated.

As did the Assembly Speaker earlier, the Deputy Governor called on the president to intervene in the alleged plot to destabilize the state assembly.

READ ALSO  Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant

Meanwhile, sand and gravel were seen at the entrance and exit gates of the Assembly complex in a form of barricade, while some people were also seen removing the roof of the building.

When asked why these were at the complex, the speaker explained that the complex was currently under renovation but the presence of security operatives at the entrance of the complex scared the contractor and workers away.

“We are going to keep vigil here to forestall the alleged illegal invasion of the house by anybody,” he added.

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. Why Deputy Speaker, Idiaye Was Impeached – Edo Assembly Speaker
  2. Edo Guber 2020: Deputy Governor Calls On Buhari To Intervene In APC Crisis, Insists Ize-Iyamu Not A Member
  3. [OPINION]: After Ambode, Will Obaseki Follow Suit?, By Tony Ademiluyi
  4. COVID-19: NCDC Commissions 3 Additional Labs, 5 Patients Recover In Edo
Edo Assembly Frank Okiye Godwin Obaseki Meridian Spy Nigeria News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kennedy Igwe

Related Posts

2027: ADC Screens Atiku for Presidential Ticket

May 21, 2026

FG Reiterates Commitment to Results-Driven Governance in Public Service

May 20, 2026

Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant

May 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • 2027: ADC Screens Atiku for Presidential Ticket
  • FG Reiterates Commitment to Results-Driven Governance in Public Service
  • CBN Retains Interest Rate at 26.5%
  • Obi Emerges NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant
  • APC’s Abracadabra Primaries By Farooq Kperogi
  • Arsenal Win First English Premier League Title In 22 Years
  • El-Rufai Detention Drama Deepens as Family Accuses DSS of Defying Court Orders
  • Nigeria-US Joint Strikes Kill 175 ISIS Militants in North-East – DHQ
  • DHQ: No Terrorist Base in South-West Despite Oyo School Attack
  • Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
  • Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election
  • Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly
  • “We Are Activating a Citizen-Centred Tax Service System” – Tax Ombud
  • 63% of Nigerians Want Lower Interest Rates – CBN Survey
  • APC Panel Disqualifies Fubara’s Loyalists, Clears Wike’s Allies
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.