Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»Business»SHOCKING: FG Declares Release of Maryam Sanda, 81 Others Inconclusive
Business

SHOCKING: FG Declares Release of Maryam Sanda, 81 Others Inconclusive

meridianspyBy meridianspyOctober 16, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

L

The federal government of Nigeria has clarified that neither Maryam Sanda nor any of the 81 other inmates granted Presidential Clemency has been released from detention.

The clarification followed the outrage that trailed the announcement of the Bola Tinubu administration’s move to release the convicts, who were on death sentence, life imprisonment, for murder, drug trafficking, illegal mining among others.

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar had said clemency granted to people convicted of serious offences weakened public faith in the criminal-justice system and “emboldens criminality.”

Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, National Publicity Secretary of the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC), had described the move as an abuse of the presidential power of mercy, adding that it is “a national disgrace”.

Different human right groups and various associations had also commented on the development.

But in a statement on Thursday, Lateef Fagbemi, Minister of Justice, who chaired the Committee that recommended clemency for the convicts, said none of them had been released.

Acknowledging the “public’s vigilance and constructive feedback”, the minister said it had strengthened institutional integrity.

“The Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice wishes to clarify that no inmate approved for clemency under the recent exercise of the President’s power of prerogative of mercy has been released from custody.”

“The process remains at the final administrative stage, which includes a standard review to ensure that all names and recommendations fully comply with established legal and procedural requirements before any instrument of release is issued.

READ ALSO  Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged Illegal Interception of Ribadu’s Communications

“It is important to note that the last stage of the exercise, after approval by the Council of State, is the issuance of the instrument for the implementation of the decision concerning each beneficiary. This stage affords an opportunity for a final look at the list for remedial purposes, if any, before the instrument is forwarded to the Controller-General of Corrections for necessary action.
This verification process is part of the standard protocol and reflects the government’s commitment to transparency and due diligence.

“The Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice appreciates the public’s vigilance and constructive feedback, which continue to strengthen institutional integrity. Public engagement is always welcome, as it demonstrates that Nigerians care deeply about justice and good governance.

“There is no delay in the process; it is simply following the law to the letter to ensure that only those duly qualified benefit from the President’s mercy. As soon as all legal and procedural checks are concluded, the public will be duly informed. The rule of law does not rush; it ensures fairness.”

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. Prioritise Economic Growth, Association urges Incoming Govt
  2. Nigeria’s FDI Drops by $19B in Decade – Finance Minister
Maryam Sanda Vice-President Atiku
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18, 2026

Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election

May 18, 2026

Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly

May 18, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
  • Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election
  • Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly
  • “We Are Activating a Citizen-Centred Tax Service System” – Tax Ombud
  • 63% of Nigerians Want Lower Interest Rates – CBN Survey
  • APC Panel Disqualifies Fubara’s Loyalists, Clears Wike’s Allies
  • 2027: APC Disqualifies Murray-Bruce, Adegboyega 45 Others Aspirants for Senate
  • Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged Illegal Interception of Ribadu’s Communications
  • Police Dismiss, Prosecute Officers Over Kidnapping, Robbery, Extortion in Rivers
  • Ex-Power Minister Jailed 75 Years for N33.8bn Fraud
  • Want Good Roads and Hospitals? Pay Your Taxes, Tinubu Urges Nigerians
  • Speaker Abbas Returns Unopposed As APC Candidate For Zaria Constituency 
  • Oil Prices Ease as Shipping Resumes in Hormuz Strait
  • NNPC Urged to Revive Refineries Following Dangote Snub
  • Africa CDC Confirms 65 Deaths in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.