Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»How Gov Matawalle ‘Diverted’ N70bn Using Over 100 Firms – EFCC 
News

How Gov Matawalle ‘Diverted’ N70bn Using Over 100 Firms – EFCC 

meridianspyBy meridianspyMay 19, 2023Updated:May 19, 2023No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Zamfara State governor, Bello Matawalle
Zamfara State governor, Bello Matawalle
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says it is currently probing Zamfara State governor, Bello Matawalle, for “N70bn fraud”.

The anti-graft agency also confirmed that a former Minister of Power, Sale Mamman, who was recently arrested by the operatives of the commission over alleged N22bn fraud is still in detention.

But Bawa, who spoke through the Director of Public Affairs of the commission, Osita Nwajah, explained that the agency was not supposed to dignify Matawalle with a response but it did in order to set the record straight.

He said the governor diverted the money through proxies and contractors who received payment for contracts that were not executed.

The anti-graft agency boss told reporters that the commission’s investigations so far revealed that more than 100 companies had received payments from the funds, with no evidence of service rendered to the state.

According to him, some of the contractors who had been invited and quizzed by the commission, made startling revelations on how they were allegedly compelled by the governor to return the funds received from the state coffers back to him through his aides after converting the same to United States Dollars.

The governor had levelled allegations against Bawa and dared the commission to go after members of President Muhammadu Buhari’s cabinet.

However, in a swift reaction, the minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed played down the Matawalle’s call, saying it is his opinion.

READ ALSO  Want Good Roads and Hospitals? Pay Your Taxes, Tinubu Urges Nigerians

But Bawa, who spoke through the Director of Public Affairs of the commission, Osita Nwajah, said, “These claims ought not to be dignified with a response. What is at play here is a pure case of corruption fighting back. Matawalle’s outburst is product of paranoia- an uncomfortable exertion arising from the heat of EFCC’s lawful activities.

“However, for the sake of some gullible citizens who might be swayed by the governor’s sudden burst of crusading zest, a measured response has become imperative to expose Matawalle’ outburst for what it is, a hollow gambit to deflect attention from the real issue.

“The real issue with Matawalle is that he is being investigated by the EFCC, over allegation of monumental corruption, award of phantom contracts and diversion of over N70billion.”

The anti-corruption czar explained that the issue had nothing to do with the transparency of EFCC’s asset recovery and disposal process, adding that contrary to the claims by Matawalle, the Commission supervised an asset disposal exercise that was widely acclaimed as the most transparent in the country’s history.

He told journalists that proceeds of the open and transparent exercise have since been remitted into the coffers of the Federal Government, and are being deployed in the provision of infrastructure for Nigerians.

“It is intriguing that Matawalle would want to take on the role of a supervisor, who tells the EFCC whom to investigate. Is this a case of a “’thief’’ saying he must not be touched until other ‘’thieves’’ are caught?

“Unfortunately, it is not within Matawalle’s remit to dictate to the EFCC whom to arrest, when and where. Suspects in the custody of the Commission cut across all sectors and social class.

READ ALSO  Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election

“The qualification to get a space in the Commission’s detention facility, is to commit a crime. It does not matter whether you are a priest, Imam, Governor or minister.

“Currently, a former minister of power is in the custody of the EFCC over a N22billion corruption allegation. That conveniently did not attract Matawalle’s attention.

“Of course, these shenanigans are not strange. They appear to play out in cycles, particularly when the nation is in political transition. Virtually all the predecessors of the incumbent EFCC chairman suffered similar indignity at the hands of politically exposed persons under investigation for corruption.

“Who among the former chairmen of the Commission was not accused of pilfering recovered assets? The Commission would like to put the nation on notice to expect more of the kind of wild allegations made by Matawalle as those at the receiving end of EFCC’s investigations, fight viciously back.

He also confirmed that a former Minister of Power, Sale Mamman, who was recently arrested by the operatives of the commission over alleged N22bn fraud is still in detention, urging Nigerians not to be swayed with Matawalle’s recent outburst”.

 

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

Related posts:

  1. TCN Vows To Shut Down Operations If Sacked MD Is Not Reinstated
  2. Zamfara: Surrender Your Riffle, Get Two Cows – Gov Matawalle Tells Bandits
  3. I Find It Insulting – Zamfara Gov Expresses Displeasure Over APC Accusation Of Boko Haram Sponsorship
bello matawalle Sale Mamman
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case

May 18, 2026

Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election

May 18, 2026

Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly

May 18, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • Court grants activist Justice Crack N5m bail in cybercrime case
  • Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election
  • Six Ondo Reps lose bid to return to N’Assembly
  • “We Are Activating a Citizen-Centred Tax Service System” – Tax Ombud
  • 63% of Nigerians Want Lower Interest Rates – CBN Survey
  • APC Panel Disqualifies Fubara’s Loyalists, Clears Wike’s Allies
  • 2027: APC Disqualifies Murray-Bruce, Adegboyega 45 Others Aspirants for Senate
  • Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged Illegal Interception of Ribadu’s Communications
  • Police Dismiss, Prosecute Officers Over Kidnapping, Robbery, Extortion in Rivers
  • Ex-Power Minister Jailed 75 Years for N33.8bn Fraud
  • Want Good Roads and Hospitals? Pay Your Taxes, Tinubu Urges Nigerians
  • Speaker Abbas Returns Unopposed As APC Candidate For Zaria Constituency 
  • Oil Prices Ease as Shipping Resumes in Hormuz Strait
  • NNPC Urged to Revive Refineries Following Dangote Snub
  • Africa CDC Confirms 65 Deaths in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak
Categories
  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sport
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.