Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Meridian Spy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Business
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
The Meridian Spy
Home»News»DHQ: No Terrorist Base in South-West Despite Oyo School Attack
News

DHQ: No Terrorist Base in South-West Despite Oyo School Attack

meridianspyBy meridianspyMay 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Military
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Share
    

Share!

  • Share
  • Tweet

DHQ: No Terrorist Base in South-West Despite Oyo School Attack

The Defence Headquarters has dismissed claims that terrorists have established a permanent operational base in Nigeria’s South-West region following the recent abduction of pupils and staff in parts of Oyo State, insisting that the incident does not reflect an entrenched insurgent presence in the zone.

The military, however, assured Nigerians that troops were actively pursuing the perpetrators of the attack and intensifying search-and-rescue operations to secure the safe return of all abducted victims.

The clarification comes amid growing public concerns and media reports suggesting that terrorist elements may have gained a foothold in the South-West after the attack on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele, and L.A. Primary School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

In a statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the Chief of Defence Staff, Olufemi Olatunbosun Oluyede, expressed sympathy to the families of victims, the government and people of Oyo State, describing the abduction of innocent children and school staff as “callous and reprehensible.”

The CDS said the Armed Forces remained fully committed to ensuring the safe and unconditional return of the victims.

“General Oluyede describes the abduction of innocent children and staff as a callous and reprehensible act that strikes at the heart of every Nigerian and assures grieving families that the full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim,” the statement said.

READ ALSO  Ogun Ex-Lawmaker Urges FG to Institutionalise Food Bank Programme

Addressing reports of a possible terrorist base in the South-West, the Defence Headquarters stressed that intelligence assessments do not support claims of an organised or permanent terrorist structure operating within forests and hinterlands in the region.

According to the military, the Oyo incident was an isolated criminal act and should not be interpreted as evidence of an insurgent foothold in the zone.

“The incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park, effectively neutralising the operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor,” the DHQ stated.

The military warned against narratives capable of creating panic or exaggerating the strength of criminal groups.

“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the Defence Headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities,” it added.

The DHQ further disclosed that troops currently deployed in forest corridors had already made contact with the criminal elements two days ago and were continuing pursuit operations.

It said security forces, in collaboration with other agencies and local vigilantes, were carrying out intensive operations across forested and ungoverned spaces while also relying on community intelligence to support rescue efforts.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South-West and indeed all of Nigeria,” the statement added.

READ ALSO  𝐋𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤-𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟔 𝐈𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐲

Share this:

  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Tweet

No related posts.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
meridianspy

Related Posts

FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants

August 20, 2026

2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation

August 20, 2026

Cross River Gov Orders Aides to Withdraw Case Against Critic

August 20, 2026
Search
Recent Posts
  • 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐂𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐚𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐢
  • 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐞𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨, 𝐊𝐞𝐛𝐛𝐢, 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐟𝐚𝐫𝐚
  • 𝐀𝐏𝐂 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐋𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐓𝐮𝐧𝐣𝐢-𝐎𝐣𝐨’𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐓𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐝𝐨 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐬
  • FG Commences Construction of 250-unit Housing Estate for Civil Servants
  • 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐀𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦, 𝐕𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐮𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭
  • 𝐄𝐱-𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐊𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐃𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐝, 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦
  • Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president
  • 2027: Atiku Unfit to Govern Nigeria – Donald Duke Recounts Babangida/Obasanjo Conversation
  • UK Pledges £442m to Get Rough Sleepers Off Streets by Christmas
  • Cross River Gov Orders Aides to Withdraw Case Against Critic
  • Ogun Ex-Lawmaker Urges FG to Institutionalise Food Bank Programme
  • UK Ex-Commonwealth Champion Baptiste Found Jailed in Morocco
  • Omo-Agege Raises Alarm Over Alleged Threats to Life, Holds Delta Governor Responsible
  • 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐎𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐓𝐨 𝐆𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐚
  • 𝐎𝐬𝐮𝐧 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐥: 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐀𝐭 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐭 ₦𝟒𝟎𝐁𝐧, 𝐅𝐚𝐲𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐃𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐨
Categories
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Labour
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • World news
Access Bank DiamondXtra Season 16 Rewards
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • News
  • Politics
  • Health
© 2026 All Right Reserved. Designed by Techjuno

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.