The Arewa Telecommunication operators have claimed that over two million Nigerians were made jobless due to the suspension of sim card registration and activation in the country.
The association made the claim while addressing newsmen in Kaduna on Monday.
While acknowledging the government’s intention to curb insecurity through linkage of National Identity Number (NIN) with mobile numbers, they, however, feared that rendering two million youths jobless might worsen the security challenges.
“As a registered association under the Corporate Affairs Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with registration number CAC/IT/NO131761 and with the Nigeria Communications Commission volume number as NCC/CAB/2019/VOL.1/011, we are fully in support of the Nigerian government’ measures to protect the lives and property of the citizenry,” Hassan Yakubu, the association president said.
Yakubu, however, observed that the Nigerian government must tread carefully, considering that all available research works on the causes of insecurity across the country had been linked primarily to youth unemployment.
He stated that the income of telecoms business partners, staff and agents, the majority of whom are within the age bracket of 20 to 40 years in the value chain, is determined by the number of activations and SIM registrations carried out within the month.
“The suspension of SIM card registration may trigger another worse form of insecurity, especially in zones most affected by the insecurity,” he said.
“In fact, the growth in the telecoms sector is determined by the very sub-sector that was suspended and the much celebrated 17 per cent contribution by the telecoms sector on the Gross Domestic Product was as a result of the activities of the sub-sector under suspension.
“We therefore wish to advise that the Nigerian Government can still achieve the desired result as well as avoid creating more problems in an attempt to solve a problem if the suspension is reversed immediately to avoid the danger the suspension may expose the youths to.”
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
As A Nation, We Cannot Afford To Fail This New Year, Says Jonathan
Share Former President Goodluck Jonathan says Nigeria cannot afford to fail in 2021, Channels Television reports. In his New Year message...
Take Care Of Nigerian Youths Else They’ll Rise Against Your Govt – Mbaka Warns Buhari
Share Ejike Mbaka, a Catholic priest and spiritual director of Adoration Ministry, Enugu, Nigeria (AMEN), has warned President Muhammadu Buhari to...
Resign Honourably, Gov Tambuwal Tells Service Chiefs Over Insecurity
Share Aminu Tambuwal, Sokoto State Governor, has asked service chiefs to honourably resign from their office due to the worsening security...
There’re Curses For People Who Criticise Men Of God, Says Pastor Chris Oyakhilome
Share Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, founder and President of LoveWorld Incorporated, commonly known as Christ Embassy, says there are curses for those...
Meet Your Targets Or Get Sanctioned – Buhari Warns Revenue Generating Agencies
Share President Muhammadu Buhari has issued a stern warning to revenue generating agencies in the country to either meet their targets...
BREAKING: President Buhari To Make New Year Nationwide Broadcast On Friday
Share President Muhammadu Buhari will make a New Year broadcast to the nation tomorrow Friday, January 1, 2021 at 7am. Garba...